Can some one tell me the truth about American Craftsman windows - 9500 series with energy star rating - Kansas is my local.
I am a DIY on a limited budget - on a scale of 1-10 how good or bad are they for the money.
I would prefer to go with Simonton but they will not sell to a DIY.
I know installation is everything but with that aside is the unit worth what they cost.
Does any one have any history with them - the 8500 or 9500 series - not the 1200 or lower quality series.
And by history I am asking for history where you know the installation was not the problem
or does any one know where a DIY can purchase Simonton direct and not through a contractor.
Thanks in advance for any help/input
I bought the 8500 series (2) of the for the upstairs of my older farm house. the 2 upper sashs on both of them lost the seal within 5 years, glass became cloudy between the panes. They sent me new panes free of charge. now I just noticed that one of the replaced panes broke for no apparent reason, that one they refused to replace...claimed it was from the house settling. all the other upstairs windows are fine (6). Also vinyl windows that I bought from Lowes, can't recall the brand. Downstairs, I used Pella replacement windows that I bought from Carter Lumber (8). Aluminum-clad wood. Cost a little more but look and perform great. I would rate the American Craftsman at a 2. Don't make the same mistake I did. If you plan on keeping your house for a while don't buy them.....you get what you pay for!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda