Can some one tell me the truth about American Craftsman windows - 9500 series with energy star rating - Kansas is my local.
I am a DIY on a limited budget - on a scale of 1-10 how good or bad are they for the money.
I would prefer to go with Simonton but they will not sell to a DIY.
I know installation is everything but with that aside is the unit worth what they cost.
Does any one have any history with them - the 8500 or 9500 series - not the 1200 or lower quality series.
And by history I am asking for history where you know the installation was not the problem
or does any one know where a DIY can purchase Simonton direct and not through a contractor.
Thanks in advance for any help/input
I bought the 8500 series (2) of the for the upstairs of my older farm house. the 2 upper sashs on both of them lost the seal within 5 years, glass became cloudy between the panes. They sent me new panes free of charge. now I just noticed that one of the replaced panes broke for no apparent reason, that one they refused to replace...claimed it was from the house settling. all the other upstairs windows are fine (6). Also vinyl windows that I bought from Lowes, can't recall the brand. Downstairs, I used Pella replacement windows that I bought from Carter Lumber (8). Aluminum-clad wood. Cost a little more but look and perform great. I would rate the American Craftsman at a 2. Don't make the same mistake I did. If you plan on keeping your house for a while don't buy them.....you get what you pay for!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes