Can some one tell me the truth about American Craftsman windows - 9500 series with energy star rating - Kansas is my local.
I am a DIY on a limited budget - on a scale of 1-10 how good or bad are they for the money.
I would prefer to go with Simonton but they will not sell to a DIY.
I know installation is everything but with that aside is the unit worth what they cost.
Does any one have any history with them - the 8500 or 9500 series - not the 1200 or lower quality series.
And by history I am asking for history where you know the installation was not the problem
or does any one know where a DIY can purchase Simonton direct and not through a contractor.
Thanks in advance for any help/input
I bought the 8500 series (2) of the for the upstairs of my older farm house. the 2 upper sashs on both of them lost the seal within 5 years, glass became cloudy between the panes. They sent me new panes free of charge. now I just noticed that one of the replaced panes broke for no apparent reason, that one they refused to replace...claimed it was from the house settling. all the other upstairs windows are fine (6). Also vinyl windows that I bought from Lowes, can't recall the brand. Downstairs, I used Pella replacement windows that I bought from Carter Lumber (8). Aluminum-clad wood. Cost a little more but look and perform great. I would rate the American Craftsman at a 2. Don't make the same mistake I did. If you plan on keeping your house for a while don't buy them.....you get what you pay for!!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY