Three things must be in you favor to have any degree of success on what you know is less than perfect settings.
1. You must have a floor that slopes and drains water easily away from all your walls. Note: a drain in the floor itself may be a code issue check it out.
2. You will need to install a baseboard and be sure to prime, seal, and caulk under and place bead of caulk next to the floor/baseboard seams and the baseboard/drywall seams to shed water asap. Make sure the drywall is up off the floor 1/2"+ to help.
3. You will need to prime and paint the drywall with a gloss or semi-gloss paint to keep water from penatrating the rock/paper surface. I assume you will have taped and filled all holes before doing this.
This still is a short cut and is not the kind of material to have near water, period. I did it as a get by item and planned on replacing the drywall before I moved out. It lasted 5 years with not a wet spot.
If you notice that the drywall looks damp and "you will know it" remove it immediately and replace because it is like a sponge and will aid in rotting the wood behind it. I had cement walls with furring strips.
You would be better off from the beginning using some of the sheet goods available for bathroom remodeling.
Or as I now have done in a recent home used stainless steel sheets and have enjoyed the reflected light and the ability to wipe grease, paint overspray off with a cleaner etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda