Three things must be in you favor to have any degree of success on what you know is less than perfect settings.
1. You must have a floor that slopes and drains water easily away from all your walls. Note: a drain in the floor itself may be a code issue check it out.
2. You will need to install a baseboard and be sure to prime, seal, and caulk under and place bead of caulk next to the floor/baseboard seams and the baseboard/drywall seams to shed water asap. Make sure the drywall is up off the floor 1/2"+ to help.
3. You will need to prime and paint the drywall with a gloss or semi-gloss paint to keep water from penatrating the rock/paper surface. I assume you will have taped and filled all holes before doing this.
This still is a short cut and is not the kind of material to have near water, period. I did it as a get by item and planned on replacing the drywall before I moved out. It lasted 5 years with not a wet spot.
If you notice that the drywall looks damp and "you will know it" remove it immediately and replace because it is like a sponge and will aid in rotting the wood behind it. I had cement walls with furring strips.
You would be better off from the beginning using some of the sheet goods available for bathroom remodeling.
Or as I now have done in a recent home used stainless steel sheets and have enjoyed the reflected light and the ability to wipe grease, paint overspray off with a cleaner etc.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!