My husband and I are building a new house and our installing a washer and dryer on the second floor. We are concerned about the noise level on the first floor and want to soundproof the floor. We are building the home ourselves and are look for an inexpensive, effective way to do this.
I too, just built a house, I wasn't worried about sound on the floor below just the sound getting through the walls. I insulated all the walls. They were internal walls but I was doing it for noise, not heat loss. It seems effective. I also did this to the master bedroom and all bathrooms. Nothing worse than hearing somebody tinkle...or worse. I am sure there are sales people out there who have a magic product for you to buy.
I don't think you could go wrong just packing fiberglass batt insulation into your floor joist space. However some sound/vibration will still travel through the joist itself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes