My home is located in Long Beach, CA about 4 miles from the ocean. The home is over 50 years old. Since I bought the house 3 years ago, I have been remodeling and upgrading every room. I have installed exhaust fans in the bathroom that vent out the roof.
Since I have lived here I have noticed that the humidity level in the house is higher then outside. I purchased a humidity gauge and times the outdoors are at 20%, the indoors will be over 70%.
I have purchased a dehumidifier and in the fall and winter months I have been dumping about 3 gallons of water from it daily. With the dehumidifier, I have been able to lower the level to 50% in the house.
I have checked all of the obvious areas for water leakage, eg. kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, water lines for the ice maker and laundry.
The previous owner had problems with slight mold on walls behind furniture and in closets. Since I have installed the dehumidifier, the musty smell has almost gone away. But, if the dehumidifier is turned off, the humidity level rises to over 70%.
Is there some other things I should be looking for? Other areas that cause high moisture?
mold does not like warm temperatures, in a typical closet is best to close the air cond. vent and leave the light on. This is to give you an idea of what I am talking about. If you have a basement with a furnace increase the ambient air temperature in the basement (dry bulb temp) Eliminate cold surfaces, and check your floor, it looks like your humidity might be sipping from your ground, since you said that the outside air humidity is lower than inside the home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs