My home is located in Long Beach, CA about 4 miles from the ocean. The home is over 50 years old. Since I bought the house 3 years ago, I have been remodeling and upgrading every room. I have installed exhaust fans in the bathroom that vent out the roof.
Since I have lived here I have noticed that the humidity level in the house is higher then outside. I purchased a humidity gauge and times the outdoors are at 20%, the indoors will be over 70%.
I have purchased a dehumidifier and in the fall and winter months I have been dumping about 3 gallons of water from it daily. With the dehumidifier, I have been able to lower the level to 50% in the house.
I have checked all of the obvious areas for water leakage, eg. kitchen sink, bathroom sinks, water lines for the ice maker and laundry.
The previous owner had problems with slight mold on walls behind furniture and in closets. Since I have installed the dehumidifier, the musty smell has almost gone away. But, if the dehumidifier is turned off, the humidity level rises to over 70%.
Is there some other things I should be looking for? Other areas that cause high moisture?
mold does not like warm temperatures, in a typical closet is best to close the air cond. vent and leave the light on. This is to give you an idea of what I am talking about. If you have a basement with a furnace increase the ambient air temperature in the basement (dry bulb temp) Eliminate cold surfaces, and check your floor, it looks like your humidity might be sipping from your ground, since you said that the outside air humidity is lower than inside the home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY