weight a wood beam will carry
Lot's of kinds of wood in this world - all with different peculiarities.
A fifteen foot sapn is likely to require a man-made LVL or glulam. You give no details about what it will support. Roof only?
or just taking the bounce out of some floor joists midspan with no actaul loading?
header for three stories above?
Complete plans are necessary for complete answer but a generic rule of themb would call for this beam in fir to be a 4 x 18 or 4 x 16
solid wood floor meets sliding glass door
Center cut, rectangular, shower basin
Changing gas fireplace to a wood-burning fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers