Determining Load-Bearing Walls
<a href="http://fusco-verga-const.com">Fusco & Verga Construction Co., Inc.</a>
Just to lead you in the right direction.
As a rule of thumb only: If the joists above
and below the wall in question run parallel
to that wall, it is PROBABLY not load bearing. If the joists run perpendicular to
the wall in question, it is PROBABLY a load
bearing wall. The only way to really verify
this is to physically look at the joists-
which may require the opening of ceilings. I
have seen many homes that were remodeled
(example: the lowering of ceilings) and had
total disregard for walls being bearing or not. Much of my work is dealing with distressed homeowners who have floors and houses in near collapse, so, if you have any
doubts about your ability then take Joe,s
advice and hire a P.E. Good Luck!
No interior load bearing walls?
Is a licensed person needed for load-bearing wall de...
load bearing wall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!