Determining Load-Bearing Walls
<a href="http://fusco-verga-const.com">Fusco & Verga Construction Co., Inc.</a>
Just to lead you in the right direction.
As a rule of thumb only: If the joists above
and below the wall in question run parallel
to that wall, it is PROBABLY not load bearing. If the joists run perpendicular to
the wall in question, it is PROBABLY a load
bearing wall. The only way to really verify
this is to physically look at the joists-
which may require the opening of ceilings. I
have seen many homes that were remodeled
(example: the lowering of ceilings) and had
total disregard for walls being bearing or not. Much of my work is dealing with distressed homeowners who have floors and houses in near collapse, so, if you have any
doubts about your ability then take Joe,s
advice and hire a P.E. Good Luck!
No interior load bearing walls?
Is a licensed person needed for load-bearing wall de...
load bearing wall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes