I have an old Edwardian style home built in 1911 with the 9-10 foot ceilings and a full basement and attic. The house is roughly 30x30 and subject to a main addition and overhauls in the next 3 years!
The people who owned my house before me removed a main support wall between the dining room and kitchen and ALL support posts from the basement! I have studied the foundation in my basement and it appears to be sound, with no cracks or crumbling. However, up on the main floors I have beautiful oak zebra-cut(?) wood that is cracking, cracking plaster, and wood moldings that no longer match up. I also have some windows cracking or are hard to open/shut. I would like to add support beams BACK into the basement but do not know where they should go, I think I can see where they were, but would it be safe to use floor jacks to slowly jack the house up until all is even again then place a permanent support beam in that place? Is this a slow steady, bit-by-bit on a monthly basis project or one I can do in a relatively short period of time?
I have an exterior picture of the house at my website http://www.acsnet.com/~tambrey/house.html
and I will be adding interior pics soon so you can see what I mean and maybe give advice!
Thanks!'This site is GREAT!!!
creaking ceiling and walls
Removing and Reusing wood and tile floors
Alternative Construction Materials - Interior Walls
Walls: wood vs drywall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!