I have an old Edwardian style home built in 1911 with the 9-10 foot ceilings and a full basement and attic. The house is roughly 30x30 and subject to a main addition and overhauls in the next 3 years!
The people who owned my house before me removed a main support wall between the dining room and kitchen and ALL support posts from the basement! I have studied the foundation in my basement and it appears to be sound, with no cracks or crumbling. However, up on the main floors I have beautiful oak zebra-cut(?) wood that is cracking, cracking plaster, and wood moldings that no longer match up. I also have some windows cracking or are hard to open/shut. I would like to add support beams BACK into the basement but do not know where they should go, I think I can see where they were, but would it be safe to use floor jacks to slowly jack the house up until all is even again then place a permanent support beam in that place? Is this a slow steady, bit-by-bit on a monthly basis project or one I can do in a relatively short period of time?
I have an exterior picture of the house at my website http://www.acsnet.com/~tambrey/house.html
and I will be adding interior pics soon so you can see what I mean and maybe give advice!
Thanks!'This site is GREAT!!!
creaking ceiling and walls
Removing and Reusing wood and tile floors
Alternative Construction Materials - Interior Walls
Walls: wood vs drywall?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps