Remodeling a bath, putting in a 54" x 60" h'cap shower to replace a sunken tub. I need advice on what I should do.
The tub has to come out, as well as a 3050 picture window and the tile surround. The exterior is block, and I'll need a sub who will patch it all together and install the window. In Arizona we don't often open windows, so I'm thinking of putting a wall mounted exhaust fan too.
I can't tell whether the tub is steel or cast. I can break up a cast tub, but I think I'll run into a problem if it's steel. Any suggestions about determining the material short of a whack with a sledge?
What should I use to bring the surface up to grade, for a slab? I was told that well tamped sand will do it, and I've been told to forget that, pour in concrete. That seems like an unneccesary expense. Either way, I'd try to get rubble in the hole as a filler. I also plan to used sleel dowels all sides, to prevent any subsidence of the new floor.
I'm planning a 4" concrete curb at the entry and 4"floor at grade, with rebar or remesh, flyash and fiber additives. Later it will be stained. Will this plan reduce the need for a pan underneath? If not, I suppose I can fashion a pan from EDPM, and run that up the wall and curb, but I don't know how. Will it go under the new slab?
I'll be replacing the wall drywall with Wonderboard, I suppose, covered with cultured marble surrounds.
Part of the plan is to have a heated 24" x 16" bench in the shower. I've looked at things like WarmTile, and would use that, if it's a good idea.
I want to have two showerheads, working independently. I have the heads and a temp-control mixer. It looks like an elementry valve job to shut off one or both, or have both open.
This is a major project for me. I need whatever expert advice you guys can offer. Direct email to me at email@example.com if possible. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs