Remodeling a bath, putting in a 54" x 60" h'cap shower to replace a sunken tub. I need advice on what I should do.
The tub has to come out, as well as a 3050 picture window and the tile surround. The exterior is block, and I'll need a sub who will patch it all together and install the window. In Arizona we don't often open windows, so I'm thinking of putting a wall mounted exhaust fan too.
I can't tell whether the tub is steel or cast. I can break up a cast tub, but I think I'll run into a problem if it's steel. Any suggestions about determining the material short of a whack with a sledge?
What should I use to bring the surface up to grade, for a slab? I was told that well tamped sand will do it, and I've been told to forget that, pour in concrete. That seems like an unneccesary expense. Either way, I'd try to get rubble in the hole as a filler. I also plan to used sleel dowels all sides, to prevent any subsidence of the new floor.
I'm planning a 4" concrete curb at the entry and 4"floor at grade, with rebar or remesh, flyash and fiber additives. Later it will be stained. Will this plan reduce the need for a pan underneath? If not, I suppose I can fashion a pan from EDPM, and run that up the wall and curb, but I don't know how. Will it go under the new slab?
I'll be replacing the wall drywall with Wonderboard, I suppose, covered with cultured marble surrounds.
Part of the plan is to have a heated 24" x 16" bench in the shower. I've looked at things like WarmTile, and would use that, if it's a good idea.
I want to have two showerheads, working independently. I have the heads and a temp-control mixer. It looks like an elementry valve job to shut off one or both, or have both open.
This is a major project for me. I need whatever expert advice you guys can offer. Direct email to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if possible. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps