Remodeling a bath, putting in a 54" x 60" h'cap shower to replace a sunken tub. I need advice on what I should do.
The tub has to come out, as well as a 3050 picture window and the tile surround. The exterior is block, and I'll need a sub who will patch it all together and install the window. In Arizona we don't often open windows, so I'm thinking of putting a wall mounted exhaust fan too.
I can't tell whether the tub is steel or cast. I can break up a cast tub, but I think I'll run into a problem if it's steel. Any suggestions about determining the material short of a whack with a sledge?
What should I use to bring the surface up to grade, for a slab? I was told that well tamped sand will do it, and I've been told to forget that, pour in concrete. That seems like an unneccesary expense. Either way, I'd try to get rubble in the hole as a filler. I also plan to used sleel dowels all sides, to prevent any subsidence of the new floor.
I'm planning a 4" concrete curb at the entry and 4"floor at grade, with rebar or remesh, flyash and fiber additives. Later it will be stained. Will this plan reduce the need for a pan underneath? If not, I suppose I can fashion a pan from EDPM, and run that up the wall and curb, but I don't know how. Will it go under the new slab?
I'll be replacing the wall drywall with Wonderboard, I suppose, covered with cultured marble surrounds.
Part of the plan is to have a heated 24" x 16" bench in the shower. I've looked at things like WarmTile, and would use that, if it's a good idea.
I want to have two showerheads, working independently. I have the heads and a temp-control mixer. It looks like an elementry valve job to shut off one or both, or have both open.
This is a major project for me. I need whatever expert advice you guys can offer. Direct email to me at email@example.com if possible. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs