Remodeling a bath, putting in a 54" x 60" h'cap shower to replace a sunken tub. I need advice on what I should do.
The tub has to come out, as well as a 3050 picture window and the tile surround. The exterior is block, and I'll need a sub who will patch it all together and install the window. In Arizona we don't often open windows, so I'm thinking of putting a wall mounted exhaust fan too.
I can't tell whether the tub is steel or cast. I can break up a cast tub, but I think I'll run into a problem if it's steel. Any suggestions about determining the material short of a whack with a sledge?
What should I use to bring the surface up to grade, for a slab? I was told that well tamped sand will do it, and I've been told to forget that, pour in concrete. That seems like an unneccesary expense. Either way, I'd try to get rubble in the hole as a filler. I also plan to used sleel dowels all sides, to prevent any subsidence of the new floor.
I'm planning a 4" concrete curb at the entry and 4"floor at grade, with rebar or remesh, flyash and fiber additives. Later it will be stained. Will this plan reduce the need for a pan underneath? If not, I suppose I can fashion a pan from EDPM, and run that up the wall and curb, but I don't know how. Will it go under the new slab?
I'll be replacing the wall drywall with Wonderboard, I suppose, covered with cultured marble surrounds.
Part of the plan is to have a heated 24" x 16" bench in the shower. I've looked at things like WarmTile, and would use that, if it's a good idea.
I want to have two showerheads, working independently. I have the heads and a temp-control mixer. It looks like an elementry valve job to shut off one or both, or have both open.
This is a major project for me. I need whatever expert advice you guys can offer. Direct email to me at email@example.com if possible. Thanks.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!