We recently bought a craftsman style house from 1905.
We recently bought a craftsman style house from 1905. Previous owners refinished parts of the pine wall mouldings with a very dark stain, leaving them almost black and not matching with other parts of the mouldings. We tried Citristrip, and it seemed to remove a good portion of it. How do we know if we removed enough of the finish and are able to start sanding? Any advice would be appreciated. We are new to renovating houses. Since we will be doing large portions of wood at a time is it necessary to wear a vapor mask?
The best way to tell if you have removed enough of the finish to start sanding is to try a section and see how fast the sandpaper fills up. If you cannot make more than 3-4 passes with the sandpaper before it gums up I would suggest you try removing more of the finish with a chemical stripper.
As to the vapor mask it all depends on how good the ventilation you have is, the type of chemicals you are using, and what your individual tolerance levels are. A mask couldn't hurt if you are in doubt.
1/2" Surface Mounted Offset hinges, do they exsist?
crown molding and sloped ceilings
Cieling tiles of the 1950's
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps