We recently bought a craftsman style house from 1905.
We recently bought a craftsman style house from 1905. Previous owners refinished parts of the pine wall mouldings with a very dark stain, leaving them almost black and not matching with other parts of the mouldings. We tried Citristrip, and it seemed to remove a good portion of it. How do we know if we removed enough of the finish and are able to start sanding? Any advice would be appreciated. We are new to renovating houses. Since we will be doing large portions of wood at a time is it necessary to wear a vapor mask?
The best way to tell if you have removed enough of the finish to start sanding is to try a section and see how fast the sandpaper fills up. If you cannot make more than 3-4 passes with the sandpaper before it gums up I would suggest you try removing more of the finish with a chemical stripper.
As to the vapor mask it all depends on how good the ventilation you have is, the type of chemicals you are using, and what your individual tolerance levels are. A mask couldn't hurt if you are in doubt.
1/2" Surface Mounted Offset hinges, do they exsist?
crown molding and sloped ceilings
Cieling tiles of the 1950's
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!