Concret Block vs. Monolithic Pour
A re-inforced concrete wall is always stronger than a wall built of CMUs, even with the rebar and solid fill your contractor recommends. The question is whether that extra strength is needed. Are your soils unstable, clay, or wet? Do you have heavy freezing? Is your house extra large and heavy or designed with a lot of jigs, jogs, and angles?
In many parts of the country, laying a foundation wall from individual CMUs is the standard practice because it is compatable with the local soils and climate. In other places, Re-inforced concrete is the norm.
It could be that your archy has a background in another place, or it could be that your contractor is limited in his vision and experience.
Ask around locally. Ask the contractor whether he can show you work he has done similarly ten years ago. Ask the archy why he prefers the concrete.
Finally, compare the costs for each. Then decide if the price is worth it to you. After all, it's your dinero.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs