- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
The fact that it has a support post (I assume you mean an adjustable lolly collumn when you say Jack) means that this beam needs support there. Removing it would be more dangerous than leaving it. That would likely cause or encourage a failure.
You need to know why that bulge is there above it. Eigther they simply jacked up too high or the perimeeter walls and foundation have settled. The latter may also require some attention.
I will assume that they simply jacked too high. All you need to do to correct that is to thread it down lower. If there is any reason to completely unload it temporariily, be sure to cut a wood post first to catch the weight at the right height and doesn't colapse under the load from above.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them