- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
The fact that it has a support post (I assume you mean an adjustable lolly collumn when you say Jack) means that this beam needs support there. Removing it would be more dangerous than leaving it. That would likely cause or encourage a failure.
You need to know why that bulge is there above it. Eigther they simply jacked up too high or the perimeeter walls and foundation have settled. The latter may also require some attention.
I will assume that they simply jacked too high. All you need to do to correct that is to thread it down lower. If there is any reason to completely unload it temporariily, be sure to cut a wood post first to catch the weight at the right height and doesn't colapse under the load from above.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!