- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
The fact that it has a support post (I assume you mean an adjustable lolly collumn when you say Jack) means that this beam needs support there. Removing it would be more dangerous than leaving it. That would likely cause or encourage a failure.
You need to know why that bulge is there above it. Eigther they simply jacked up too high or the perimeeter walls and foundation have settled. The latter may also require some attention.
I will assume that they simply jacked too high. All you need to do to correct that is to thread it down lower. If there is any reason to completely unload it temporariily, be sure to cut a wood post first to catch the weight at the right height and doesn't colapse under the load from above.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!