- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
Bought a house with floor jacks. Floors above jacks are buldging, what now?
The fact that it has a support post (I assume you mean an adjustable lolly collumn when you say Jack) means that this beam needs support there. Removing it would be more dangerous than leaving it. That would likely cause or encourage a failure.
You need to know why that bulge is there above it. Eigther they simply jacked up too high or the perimeeter walls and foundation have settled. The latter may also require some attention.
I will assume that they simply jacked too high. All you need to do to correct that is to thread it down lower. If there is any reason to completely unload it temporariily, be sure to cut a wood post first to catch the weight at the right height and doesn't colapse under the load from above.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps