Yes, and I agree.
You said "almost assuredly" which is not even close to saying it is so or will occur.
The POINT is that 'dampproofing' is used to prevent water infiltration into a basement when the ground is not under hydrualic pressure.
'Waterproofing' is used when the gorund around the foundation IS under hydrualic pressure...
And in NEITHER case is "VAPOR PROOFING" even addressed.
Which means that "VAPOR PROOFING" is a separate and subsequent challenge for proper basement construction and treatmnet completely separate from 'dampproofing' and 'waterproofing'.
You CAN and most often DO have a basement that is 'dampproofed' or 'waterproofed' and still not at all VAPOR PROOFED depending upon the technique and materials used and applied.
Which, again, remains, the reason, that one should NOT or EVER simply rely on 'dampproofing' or 'waterproofing' applications to also 'VAPOR PROOF' a basement when in most cases each does not.
VAPOR PROOFING is a separate and independent treatment besides damp and waterproofing a basement and no one should automatically 'assume' they are getting one or the other or both or all three at any time.
If in doubt, have your code official, architect or structural engineer make the call.
You criticise me for using the phrase "almost assuredly" without noticing that I was only quoting you in your use of it.
Excellence is its own reward!
Excellence is its own reward!
Now now children! I hope you fellows have better things to do then debate about foundation waterproofing!
I agree. I've been doing this for a long time from installations to inspections as well as presenting technical data in various forms. HomeBuild, although you sound well intentioned, you need to accept some direction from Piffin.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!