Yes, and I agree.
You said "almost assuredly" which is not even close to saying it is so or will occur.
The POINT is that 'dampproofing' is used to prevent water infiltration into a basement when the ground is not under hydrualic pressure.
'Waterproofing' is used when the gorund around the foundation IS under hydrualic pressure...
And in NEITHER case is "VAPOR PROOFING" even addressed.
Which means that "VAPOR PROOFING" is a separate and subsequent challenge for proper basement construction and treatmnet completely separate from 'dampproofing' and 'waterproofing'.
You CAN and most often DO have a basement that is 'dampproofed' or 'waterproofed' and still not at all VAPOR PROOFED depending upon the technique and materials used and applied.
Which, again, remains, the reason, that one should NOT or EVER simply rely on 'dampproofing' or 'waterproofing' applications to also 'VAPOR PROOF' a basement when in most cases each does not.
VAPOR PROOFING is a separate and independent treatment besides damp and waterproofing a basement and no one should automatically 'assume' they are getting one or the other or both or all three at any time.
If in doubt, have your code official, architect or structural engineer make the call.
You criticise me for using the phrase "almost assuredly" without noticing that I was only quoting you in your use of it.
Excellence is its own reward!
Excellence is its own reward!
Now now children! I hope you fellows have better things to do then debate about foundation waterproofing!
I agree. I've been doing this for a long time from installations to inspections as well as presenting technical data in various forms. HomeBuild, although you sound well intentioned, you need to accept some direction from Piffin.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!