Yes, and I agree.
You said "almost assuredly" which is not even close to saying it is so or will occur.
The POINT is that 'dampproofing' is used to prevent water infiltration into a basement when the ground is not under hydrualic pressure.
'Waterproofing' is used when the gorund around the foundation IS under hydrualic pressure...
And in NEITHER case is "VAPOR PROOFING" even addressed.
Which means that "VAPOR PROOFING" is a separate and subsequent challenge for proper basement construction and treatmnet completely separate from 'dampproofing' and 'waterproofing'.
You CAN and most often DO have a basement that is 'dampproofed' or 'waterproofed' and still not at all VAPOR PROOFED depending upon the technique and materials used and applied.
Which, again, remains, the reason, that one should NOT or EVER simply rely on 'dampproofing' or 'waterproofing' applications to also 'VAPOR PROOF' a basement when in most cases each does not.
VAPOR PROOFING is a separate and independent treatment besides damp and waterproofing a basement and no one should automatically 'assume' they are getting one or the other or both or all three at any time.
If in doubt, have your code official, architect or structural engineer make the call.
You criticise me for using the phrase "almost assuredly" without noticing that I was only quoting you in your use of it.
Excellence is its own reward!
Excellence is its own reward!
Now now children! I hope you fellows have better things to do then debate about foundation waterproofing!
I agree. I've been doing this for a long time from installations to inspections as well as presenting technical data in various forms. HomeBuild, although you sound well intentioned, you need to accept some direction from Piffin.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates