i need to install a french drain on two sides of my garage to keep it from flooding, but there's a hiccup to the situation. our problem is that our rectangular lot slopes downhill as you go back to the garage -- and slightly to the opposite corner of the lot from the garage -- but our lot backs our neighbor's, so i can't have the drain pipe emerge from the ground and drain out. grr!
anywho, my idea is to take the end of the french drain after it "L"s around our garage and send the pipe to a large retention pond (read: hole) i'll dig at the corner of our lot -- about 3 feet in diameter and 3 feet deep. i'll feed the drain pipe into the pond and fill the hole with gravel or coarse sand to give the water from the drain somewhere to go that's below the level of our garage, but not directly into our neighbor's yard.
will this idea of creating a destination for the water solve my problem or create a totally new one? any suggestions will be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!