Learning my new mitre saw
My question is what is the best way to learn the ins & outs of my new saw? A class would be great, a book would be alright, a cdrom would even work.
I live in the east bay in No. California if anyone knows of a class nearby.
Thanks everybody for any help to the fixit rookie I am.
Fortunately, these saws aren't all that difficult to use. I bet the owner's manual has some good info. And of course WATCH YOUR FINGERS!
One thing I've found really helpful with my compound miter saw is having a heavy duty stand (on wheels) and some attaching stands to hold the work (to left and right) at the proper height. Just so it's not sliding all over the place...and it also helps with accuracy--as it helps keep the work set properly in the saw.
I also find I don't use the "compound" feature much. 99% of the time I just crosscut at 90 degrees. This is simple and quick.
With the "compound" feature, it's surprisingly easy to cut the WRONG WAY and end up ruining your piece. I mean, have the angle figured out exactly in your head--and end up with useless work. It can be frustrating...but definitely plan your cuts carefully if you're doing compound work.
And as I said on your previous post, be careful with cutting crown molding on that thing. You may end up having to cut it with a coping saw to fit the molding's profile.
And I certainly never discourage taking classes, reading books, etc. Always a good idea. I use my local library. They have videos, etc.
Good luck and enjoy that saw!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight