Learning my new mitre saw
My question is what is the best way to learn the ins & outs of my new saw? A class would be great, a book would be alright, a cdrom would even work.
I live in the east bay in No. California if anyone knows of a class nearby.
Thanks everybody for any help to the fixit rookie I am.
Fortunately, these saws aren't all that difficult to use. I bet the owner's manual has some good info. And of course WATCH YOUR FINGERS!
One thing I've found really helpful with my compound miter saw is having a heavy duty stand (on wheels) and some attaching stands to hold the work (to left and right) at the proper height. Just so it's not sliding all over the place...and it also helps with accuracy--as it helps keep the work set properly in the saw.
I also find I don't use the "compound" feature much. 99% of the time I just crosscut at 90 degrees. This is simple and quick.
With the "compound" feature, it's surprisingly easy to cut the WRONG WAY and end up ruining your piece. I mean, have the angle figured out exactly in your head--and end up with useless work. It can be frustrating...but definitely plan your cuts carefully if you're doing compound work.
And as I said on your previous post, be careful with cutting crown molding on that thing. You may end up having to cut it with a coping saw to fit the molding's profile.
And I certainly never discourage taking classes, reading books, etc. Always a good idea. I use my local library. They have videos, etc.
Good luck and enjoy that saw!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Laundry Rooms We Love
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Facade
- DIY Doormats: Step Up the Style of Your Entryway
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 14 Ways to Make Good Use of Your Old Stuff
- 10 Brilliant Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 10 Beautiful Homes in the Middle of Nowhere
- 10 Easy Hacks for Better Kitchen Storage
- 11 Top Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes