Getting things square?
3' on the backer, 4' on the top board then 5' on the angle from 3' point to the 4' point makes the first board square.
For a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides: a2(3) + b2(4) = c2(5)
From there you can measure for the rest then at the end measure from corner to corner (they will be equal) and adjust.. you'll have the squarest picnic table on the block.
You can try this simple trick. Nail a jig or form to a flat surface like a piece of 1/2-3/4 inch plywood laying on the floor. The pieces can be 2x2 inch stock or really whatever you have lying around that have the length that you need. Using a framing square on the corners to lay it out. It will have to be the size of the top of the table so that the top will fit inside. Four pieces to form a rectangle in the dimensions of the top. Use the square to get the angles on the corners right. Lay the pieces for the top, bottom up, in the jig with the correct spacing. Then you can lay the cross pieces in place (again using the correct measurements to position them and the framing square to get the angle right). Use whatever fasteners that you choose (galvanized screws work well) and a waterproof glue on the cross pieces. Let the glue set to give the top some ridgity and then fasten the legs as the plan suggests. Good luck and enjoy the picnic.....MJH
Also, I recommend stainless, rather than galvanized screws if you want it to last without any rust.
One more thing: a simple way to get a square angle is to use a sheet of plywood as your guide. They are square when you buy them. Lay the pieces onto the plywood on the floor/ground.
You know I always use electroplated fasteners, but read in a book just a couple of days ago zinc coated is better.. I, like you rp, haven't found that myself, I find the zinc get's knocked off easier especially with gun nails... hmmm? Goes to show you got to take everything with a grain of salt huh?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers