I am looking for suggestions for creating a full wall length shelf over a window. The window is actually two windows placed side by side and the length of the wall is 12 feet. I would like it to store puppets and other items for my child. The problem is how to mount the supports since the bottom of the shelf will come right up to the top of the windows. I'm looking for suggestions or plans from people who have created something similar.
fredp: Instead of putting the supporting brackets below the shelf, you could put the brackets above and "hang" the shelf to the brackets. Just remember to drill pilot holes through the shelf and into the brackets and then use screws to fasten the shelf to the brackets. Depending on the materials you use, in order to keep the theme in the room, the number and type of brackets required may vary, as some materials will deflect more than others when weight is applied.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide