I am looking for suggestions for creating a full wall length shelf over a window. The window is actually two windows placed side by side and the length of the wall is 12 feet. I would like it to store puppets and other items for my child. The problem is how to mount the supports since the bottom of the shelf will come right up to the top of the windows. I'm looking for suggestions or plans from people who have created something similar.
fredp: Instead of putting the supporting brackets below the shelf, you could put the brackets above and "hang" the shelf to the brackets. Just remember to drill pilot holes through the shelf and into the brackets and then use screws to fasten the shelf to the brackets. Depending on the materials you use, in order to keep the theme in the room, the number and type of brackets required may vary, as some materials will deflect more than others when weight is applied.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight