installing a kitchen island
If you secure the cabinets to each other, you should be OK. HOWEVER, how you do that is of the UTMOST importance.
You just can't attach them 'in the middle', just inside the cabinet. You'll need to attach them at the BOTTOM as well. Having just 1 'stress point' is not good. If you can defuse that to at least 2, possibly more, then do so. So when you DO attach them, attach them in multiple locations in the middle as well as 2 or 3 location underneath.
What I'd do is ctc the countertop installer for suggestions. Granite isn't as 'flexible' as laminate-finished countertops. As far as anchoring the countertops to the floor, I think it would be good. The movement may put undue stress on the stress points especially if it's moved a lot. Again, ctc the Installer. DEFINITELY secure the cabinets to the floor if you're running electrical to them. (Case Closed on that one.) You'll need special drill bit if you're drilling through granite and marble. Do some homework on this BEFORE you drill by researching some books out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Electrical outlets in Kitchen Island (incl 220v)?
Electrical outlet in kitchen island
Kitchen Island column
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers