installing a kitchen island
If you secure the cabinets to each other, you should be OK. HOWEVER, how you do that is of the UTMOST importance.
You just can't attach them 'in the middle', just inside the cabinet. You'll need to attach them at the BOTTOM as well. Having just 1 'stress point' is not good. If you can defuse that to at least 2, possibly more, then do so. So when you DO attach them, attach them in multiple locations in the middle as well as 2 or 3 location underneath.
What I'd do is ctc the countertop installer for suggestions. Granite isn't as 'flexible' as laminate-finished countertops. As far as anchoring the countertops to the floor, I think it would be good. The movement may put undue stress on the stress points especially if it's moved a lot. Again, ctc the Installer. DEFINITELY secure the cabinets to the floor if you're running electrical to them. (Case Closed on that one.) You'll need special drill bit if you're drilling through granite and marble. Do some homework on this BEFORE you drill by researching some books out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Electrical outlet in kitchen island
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Kitchen Island column
Removable Table Feet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps