installing a kitchen island
If you secure the cabinets to each other, you should be OK. HOWEVER, how you do that is of the UTMOST importance.
You just can't attach them 'in the middle', just inside the cabinet. You'll need to attach them at the BOTTOM as well. Having just 1 'stress point' is not good. If you can defuse that to at least 2, possibly more, then do so. So when you DO attach them, attach them in multiple locations in the middle as well as 2 or 3 location underneath.
What I'd do is ctc the countertop installer for suggestions. Granite isn't as 'flexible' as laminate-finished countertops. As far as anchoring the countertops to the floor, I think it would be good. The movement may put undue stress on the stress points especially if it's moved a lot. Again, ctc the Installer. DEFINITELY secure the cabinets to the floor if you're running electrical to them. (Case Closed on that one.) You'll need special drill bit if you're drilling through granite and marble. Do some homework on this BEFORE you drill by researching some books out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Electrical outlet in kitchen island
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Kitchen Island column
Removable Table Feet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!