installing a kitchen island
If you secure the cabinets to each other, you should be OK. HOWEVER, how you do that is of the UTMOST importance.
You just can't attach them 'in the middle', just inside the cabinet. You'll need to attach them at the BOTTOM as well. Having just 1 'stress point' is not good. If you can defuse that to at least 2, possibly more, then do so. So when you DO attach them, attach them in multiple locations in the middle as well as 2 or 3 location underneath.
What I'd do is ctc the countertop installer for suggestions. Granite isn't as 'flexible' as laminate-finished countertops. As far as anchoring the countertops to the floor, I think it would be good. The movement may put undue stress on the stress points especially if it's moved a lot. Again, ctc the Installer. DEFINITELY secure the cabinets to the floor if you're running electrical to them. (Case Closed on that one.) You'll need special drill bit if you're drilling through granite and marble. Do some homework on this BEFORE you drill by researching some books out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Electrical outlet in kitchen island
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Kitchen Island column
Removable Table Feet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects