installing a kitchen island
If you secure the cabinets to each other, you should be OK. HOWEVER, how you do that is of the UTMOST importance.
You just can't attach them 'in the middle', just inside the cabinet. You'll need to attach them at the BOTTOM as well. Having just 1 'stress point' is not good. If you can defuse that to at least 2, possibly more, then do so. So when you DO attach them, attach them in multiple locations in the middle as well as 2 or 3 location underneath.
What I'd do is ctc the countertop installer for suggestions. Granite isn't as 'flexible' as laminate-finished countertops. As far as anchoring the countertops to the floor, I think it would be good. The movement may put undue stress on the stress points especially if it's moved a lot. Again, ctc the Installer. DEFINITELY secure the cabinets to the floor if you're running electrical to them. (Case Closed on that one.) You'll need special drill bit if you're drilling through granite and marble. Do some homework on this BEFORE you drill by researching some books out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Electrical outlet in kitchen island
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Kitchen Island column
Removable Table Feet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates