cast iron pipes
If you are planning to replace the section with the hole in it you will need:
A tape measure
Light metal strapping and concrete or wood screws (depending on the wall next to the pipe)
A hacksaw or reciprocating saw
2 rubber pipe collars and 4 band fasteners (I can't remember the name of the rubber collars/fasteners. If you ask an plumbing section employee at your home center they should be able to point you to it.
PVC pipe cut to the length of the section you will cut out.
Use the light metal strapping and screws to anchor the pipe above and below the section to be replaced. Fasten one end of the strapping on one side of the pipe, wrap the strapping tightly around the pipe and then fasten the other end of the strapping to the wall on the other side of the pipe. If you don't anchor the plumbing above, when you cut the pipe out, the rest of pipe above (connections to the kitchen and bath) may be damaged as the above pipe falls from the weight. Anchoring below the cut section before you cut will make it easier to cut the section out as it has less chance to vibrate as you cut it.
Use a hacksaw or reciprocating saw to cut a section of metal pipe that has the hole in it. Remember to cut the section long enough to allow the rubber collars enough overlap at each end.
When the section is out, slide the rubber collars with the band fasteners loosened onto the ends of the remaining upper and lower pipe.
Insert the section of PVC pipe, slide the rubber collars so that the ends of the replaced section are properly overlapped by the rubber collars, then tighten the band fasteners so that the rubber collars are sealed at both ends.
That should do it.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers