I ran across this item at Costco today (link at bottom) made by Watts. It is a hot water recirculator (pump included) for about $180. You install it near your hot water heater and it is supposed to give you instant hot water and save you over 10,000 gallons of water per year. Couple of questions:
1) Is it legit and will it really save water and energy (this is my primary objective for installation)?
2) Is it easy for someone w/very little (I don't want to have to solder anything myself) to install?
3) If it isn't that easy to install, what kind of price would I pay for a plumber to install it?
If your pump came with a 4 port manifold that mounts underneath your furthest fixture, i.e.vanity sink, you don't need a return line or loop. Grundfos sells a system called the Comfort System. With the manifold, it utilizes the cold water line as your recirc loop. However, either pump system requires soldering and check valve installation and preferrably isolation valves at the water heater. They sell compression adaptors that circumvent the need for soldering. But I would advise against it. Hope this helps.
Hot Water Heater Question
Hot water heater questions
low hot water pressure after new heater was installed
Sediment in hot water
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!