I have a house built in 1971 in Missouri.
In the basement were floor tiles (12x12) that are asbestos. I'm sure they are as there is a box of "spares" that say asbestos on them. There was carpet over them at the time, which I pulled up. And there were tack strips at the walls. Those were nailed down into the cement through the tiles. I pulled those up (and did wear a respirator that protects against asbestos), and then mopped up. I did not wet it before I took them up though. Some of the nails tore up a little bit of tile around them (quarter sized) some came pretty cleanly out. I'm really worried that this generated dust that is in the air in the house. Am I worrying too much about such a small amount?
Also, at some point before the carpet was laid, a strip of the tile about 1 ft by 25 ft was tore up, I guess to help install a sump pit (it looks like they laid some kind of cement over the concrete floor... to help with grading? I don't know). I'm worried that was done by someone that didn't know or care that it was asbestos, and that when I pulled up the carpet there was a lot of dust left from that event (10 years ago).
the tile is in VERY good shape and is not coming up. They used glue rather than mastic and it's down tight. But I'm still thinking of having it professionally abated before I move on with putting a new floor down. Would you recommend this?
Lastly - should I take dust samples from around the house to see if it's in random corners of the house?
What will happen to me/family after such an exposure.
Thank you for any help!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs