fell in love with an old house built in 1906. (havent bought it yet though) the basement has an old unused asbestos wrapped furnace my husband calls the monster. how do we remove this? Should we? it's cast iron. i think we would be building a bulkhead into the basement..so space wont be a problem..but not sure of cost ect involved in this one. oh ya(more bad news)has old oil tank in there as well.that would need to be removed to make room for a new one (has oil tank outside that has been in use since 1988). other than those things..its a dream house. Is this a major head ache we are getting ourselves into if we purchase this house?
The furnace itself is no problem. In fact, you can probably take it to the scrapyard and make a few dollars. Your problem is the EPA. The asbestos and oil tank, legally, must be disposed in the proper manner. This requires certified personnel and a few thousand dollars. How much is dependent on where you live and the vacinity of the nearest certified landfill. Before you say yea or nay, call and receive a few verbal bids or guesstimates. Explain the situation and they should help. Best of Luck!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes