The main drawback with heat pumps is that you are substituting one utility bill for another- you must have West Penn Electric and not Duquesne. If you are on a boiler system then it may have some merits.
The way I beat Equitable was with a 90+ furnace. It decreased my gas bills to less than half of what they were-10 years ago. My highest reading this winter was $82 (I am not on the budget). The furnace paid for itself in about three years time. In fact for the first two years they sent inspectors to check and replace my gas meter since they assumed I was tampering with it (an easy job by the way). Also make sure that you are well insulated or nothing is going to help the bills.
Stop by and look at the site at http://www.shoppittsburgh.net
room several years ago. And what I found is
that if you live in a zone are where its falls below 17 degrees then the Heat pump will use the backup power such as electric up
to 40 AMPs. So I drop it instead to use a 90%
AFUE and I am GLAD I did.
Heat Pumps are good for warmer zones.
Most units have 3 stages of toaster-mode, representing each of 3 resistance heat coils that glow much like a toaster does.
By 17 degrees, all 3 coils will be on, and your electric meter wheel will be spinning at about 27,000 rpm.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips