The main drawback with heat pumps is that you are substituting one utility bill for another- you must have West Penn Electric and not Duquesne. If you are on a boiler system then it may have some merits.
The way I beat Equitable was with a 90+ furnace. It decreased my gas bills to less than half of what they were-10 years ago. My highest reading this winter was $82 (I am not on the budget). The furnace paid for itself in about three years time. In fact for the first two years they sent inspectors to check and replace my gas meter since they assumed I was tampering with it (an easy job by the way). Also make sure that you are well insulated or nothing is going to help the bills.
Stop by and look at the site at http://www.shoppittsburgh.net
room several years ago. And what I found is
that if you live in a zone are where its falls below 17 degrees then the Heat pump will use the backup power such as electric up
to 40 AMPs. So I drop it instead to use a 90%
AFUE and I am GLAD I did.
Heat Pumps are good for warmer zones.
Most units have 3 stages of toaster-mode, representing each of 3 resistance heat coils that glow much like a toaster does.
By 17 degrees, all 3 coils will be on, and your electric meter wheel will be spinning at about 27,000 rpm.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs