The main drawback with heat pumps is that you are substituting one utility bill for another- you must have West Penn Electric and not Duquesne. If you are on a boiler system then it may have some merits.
The way I beat Equitable was with a 90+ furnace. It decreased my gas bills to less than half of what they were-10 years ago. My highest reading this winter was $82 (I am not on the budget). The furnace paid for itself in about three years time. In fact for the first two years they sent inspectors to check and replace my gas meter since they assumed I was tampering with it (an easy job by the way). Also make sure that you are well insulated or nothing is going to help the bills.
Stop by and look at the site at http://www.shoppittsburgh.net
room several years ago. And what I found is
that if you live in a zone are where its falls below 17 degrees then the Heat pump will use the backup power such as electric up
to 40 AMPs. So I drop it instead to use a 90%
AFUE and I am GLAD I did.
Heat Pumps are good for warmer zones.
Most units have 3 stages of toaster-mode, representing each of 3 resistance heat coils that glow much like a toaster does.
By 17 degrees, all 3 coils will be on, and your electric meter wheel will be spinning at about 27,000 rpm.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!