I am thinking of purchasing an 1890's center Chimney colonial. The house needs a lot of work that needs to be done. One of my major concerns is the disintegration of the wood.
Under the siding the clapboard and maybe the sheathing has decayed and crumbles in your hand under the aluminum siding, the frames around the window are decayed. I will be residing the house and installing new window so those issues will be mitigated (I Hope).
My main concern is the dirt floor basement. It looks like the beams are decaying or infested with either a post beetle or termites or maybe water damage (I have yet to get an inspector and a contractor to look at it). I do notice places on the first floor where it looks like the floor is bowing.
I want to know the best way to mitigate this. I am assuming I will need to have an experiences contractor build new beams and post but how do you recommend that they built, how far apart and how deep and
I am assuming that since the basement is dirt floor I will need to foot the support beams in cement.
Should the support beams be made of metal?
Any advice you could provide...even something I may be over looking would be greatly appreciated.
Replacing a threshold
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
How to clad long beams
insulating basement ceiling in all electric house
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers