I am thinking of purchasing an 1890's center Chimney colonial. The house needs a lot of work that needs to be done. One of my major concerns is the disintegration of the wood.
Under the siding the clapboard and maybe the sheathing has decayed and crumbles in your hand under the aluminum siding, the frames around the window are decayed. I will be residing the house and installing new window so those issues will be mitigated (I Hope).
My main concern is the dirt floor basement. It looks like the beams are decaying or infested with either a post beetle or termites or maybe water damage (I have yet to get an inspector and a contractor to look at it). I do notice places on the first floor where it looks like the floor is bowing.
I want to know the best way to mitigate this. I am assuming I will need to have an experiences contractor build new beams and post but how do you recommend that they built, how far apart and how deep and
I am assuming that since the basement is dirt floor I will need to foot the support beams in cement.
Should the support beams be made of metal?
Any advice you could provide...even something I may be over looking would be greatly appreciated.
Replacing a threshold
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
How to clad long beams
insulating basement ceiling in all electric house
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs