Hi, I am making a kitchen countertop for the first time. The countertop will be tiled. I am using 3/4" plywood as my substrate, covered with roofing paper, and then Hardibacker cement board. I have some questions and hope soomeone can provide me some answers.
1) What should the width of the countertop be since I plan on tiling the edge? The cabinet face frames are 24 1/4" away from the wall.
2) The end of the long run of the countertop is giving me fits. I decided the end overhang should be 1". I have a 1 1/4" overhang of the plywood against the wall but it is 1" just behind the face frame. I cannot get below 1 1/4". I taught myself how to scribe tonight and I have the plywood fitting pretty tight along the wall. The overhang along the face frame is 1 7/16" at the end of the long run and it is 1 1/2" at the other end, 8' away. I think being off about 1/16" over 8' is pretty good but the 1/4" difference in overhang on the end is driving me crazy.
3) The end cabinet is square to the wall. If I set the overhang on the end cabinet to be 1" against the wall and just behind the face frame, I get a huge gap against the wall 8'away at the other end of the plywood. Should I have done this to begin with, and then scribed, or did I do it correctly by setting the overhang off the face frames, scribe, and then just square off the end? I had read somewhere to use the factory ends of the plywood for the front and end of the countertop.
4) What is the purpose of using a wide strip of 3/4" plywood on top of the cabinets? Why can't I just screw the plywood to the top of the cabinets without a 3/4" spacer?
5) The backsplash will be tiled.
Thanks in advance for the tips and help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes