Hi, I am making a kitchen countertop for the first time. The countertop will be tiled. I am using 3/4" plywood as my substrate, covered with roofing paper, and then Hardibacker cement board. I have some questions and hope soomeone can provide me some answers.
1) What should the width of the countertop be since I plan on tiling the edge? The cabinet face frames are 24 1/4" away from the wall.
2) The end of the long run of the countertop is giving me fits. I decided the end overhang should be 1". I have a 1 1/4" overhang of the plywood against the wall but it is 1" just behind the face frame. I cannot get below 1 1/4". I taught myself how to scribe tonight and I have the plywood fitting pretty tight along the wall. The overhang along the face frame is 1 7/16" at the end of the long run and it is 1 1/2" at the other end, 8' away. I think being off about 1/16" over 8' is pretty good but the 1/4" difference in overhang on the end is driving me crazy.
3) The end cabinet is square to the wall. If I set the overhang on the end cabinet to be 1" against the wall and just behind the face frame, I get a huge gap against the wall 8'away at the other end of the plywood. Should I have done this to begin with, and then scribed, or did I do it correctly by setting the overhang off the face frames, scribe, and then just square off the end? I had read somewhere to use the factory ends of the plywood for the front and end of the countertop.
4) What is the purpose of using a wide strip of 3/4" plywood on top of the cabinets? Why can't I just screw the plywood to the top of the cabinets without a 3/4" spacer?
5) The backsplash will be tiled.
Thanks in advance for the tips and help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 26 Easy Painted Halloween Pumpkins
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs