New homeowner- don't know how HVAC works!
Your heating and air conditioning may be one system or two. A heat pump does both heating and AC. But if you have a furnace, then there will be a separate air conditioning unit. Typically, the heat pump or AC compressor unit is outside the house, sitting on a small concrete slab. It requires little maintenance, and that is normally done by a professional. If you have a furnace, it may be in the basement or a closet.
There are electric and gas furnaces. You could have either one. You can tell if you have gas appliances if you receive a bill from your local gas company every month. Gas appliances might include a furnace, a clothes dryer, and a water heater.
Water heaters are either gas or electric. If gas, it usually resides in a closet or garage, while electric ones are often in basement or crawl space under the house.
In appearance, they are metal, usually white, cylinder-shaped.
You could probably find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor who would walk you through the house, pointing out useful information like this. I'd recommend it (partly because it takes too much typing to go on).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!