New homeowner- don't know how HVAC works!
Your heating and air conditioning may be one system or two. A heat pump does both heating and AC. But if you have a furnace, then there will be a separate air conditioning unit. Typically, the heat pump or AC compressor unit is outside the house, sitting on a small concrete slab. It requires little maintenance, and that is normally done by a professional. If you have a furnace, it may be in the basement or a closet.
There are electric and gas furnaces. You could have either one. You can tell if you have gas appliances if you receive a bill from your local gas company every month. Gas appliances might include a furnace, a clothes dryer, and a water heater.
Water heaters are either gas or electric. If gas, it usually resides in a closet or garage, while electric ones are often in basement or crawl space under the house.
In appearance, they are metal, usually white, cylinder-shaped.
You could probably find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor who would walk you through the house, pointing out useful information like this. I'd recommend it (partly because it takes too much typing to go on).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees