New homeowner- don't know how HVAC works!
Your heating and air conditioning may be one system or two. A heat pump does both heating and AC. But if you have a furnace, then there will be a separate air conditioning unit. Typically, the heat pump or AC compressor unit is outside the house, sitting on a small concrete slab. It requires little maintenance, and that is normally done by a professional. If you have a furnace, it may be in the basement or a closet.
There are electric and gas furnaces. You could have either one. You can tell if you have gas appliances if you receive a bill from your local gas company every month. Gas appliances might include a furnace, a clothes dryer, and a water heater.
Water heaters are either gas or electric. If gas, it usually resides in a closet or garage, while electric ones are often in basement or crawl space under the house.
In appearance, they are metal, usually white, cylinder-shaped.
You could probably find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor who would walk you through the house, pointing out useful information like this. I'd recommend it (partly because it takes too much typing to go on).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs