New homeowner- don't know how HVAC works!
Your heating and air conditioning may be one system or two. A heat pump does both heating and AC. But if you have a furnace, then there will be a separate air conditioning unit. Typically, the heat pump or AC compressor unit is outside the house, sitting on a small concrete slab. It requires little maintenance, and that is normally done by a professional. If you have a furnace, it may be in the basement or a closet.
There are electric and gas furnaces. You could have either one. You can tell if you have gas appliances if you receive a bill from your local gas company every month. Gas appliances might include a furnace, a clothes dryer, and a water heater.
Water heaters are either gas or electric. If gas, it usually resides in a closet or garage, while electric ones are often in basement or crawl space under the house.
In appearance, they are metal, usually white, cylinder-shaped.
You could probably find a friend, co-worker, or neighbor who would walk you through the house, pointing out useful information like this. I'd recommend it (partly because it takes too much typing to go on).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps