I just purchased my first home and have never had radiators before. I have several questions.
1. I am unsure even what type of heating system I have. My home inspection says steam, the listing sheet says hot water radiators and the appraisal says Hot Water Steam. What is the difference and how do I determine what mine is?
2. I know that the radiators work, as heat is coming out. However, I have no idea what valves do what, etc. All of my radiators have two valves, one on the lower left hand side and another on the lower right hand side. Both valves are connected to pipes that go into the floor. What do the respective valves do?
3. I have no idea how to actually control my heat. Please help!
4. In some of my rooms, the radiators are accompanied by two large pipes that run from ceiling to floor. Some rooms do not have the pipes at all, but only a radiator. Some rooms don't have radiators at all, but only the long pipes. What are these pipes, and how come not every room or radiator has them?
5. The heat is very sporadic. What controls when the heat is released?
6. Do I need to service my radiators at all or perform maintenance on them? If so, how do i go about doing this?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?