I just purchased my first home and have never had radiators before. I have several questions.
1. I am unsure even what type of heating system I have. My home inspection says steam, the listing sheet says hot water radiators and the appraisal says Hot Water Steam. What is the difference and how do I determine what mine is?
2. I know that the radiators work, as heat is coming out. However, I have no idea what valves do what, etc. All of my radiators have two valves, one on the lower left hand side and another on the lower right hand side. Both valves are connected to pipes that go into the floor. What do the respective valves do?
3. I have no idea how to actually control my heat. Please help!
4. In some of my rooms, the radiators are accompanied by two large pipes that run from ceiling to floor. Some rooms do not have the pipes at all, but only a radiator. Some rooms don't have radiators at all, but only the long pipes. What are these pipes, and how come not every room or radiator has them?
5. The heat is very sporadic. What controls when the heat is released?
6. Do I need to service my radiators at all or perform maintenance on them? If so, how do i go about doing this?
Thanks for any help you can offer!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees