I have a heated, finished basement with a cement floor. The heat is baseboard forced hot water by oil. I'm replacing the vinyl tiles on the floor. Should I also add radiant heat while I'm doing it? Or would that be too much since the room is heated?
There are electric radiant heaters that ceiling mount. Some are panels alot like 2x4 ceiling panels. Others are designed to mount where the wall meets the ceiling. They radiate infra-red heat. I don't know how that will interact with the cold floor. Maybe a carpet and pad would be enough insulation on the floor.
Thank you both for your advice. The cold floor is what I really want to address, so I will look further into the radiant heat. I live in New England and use quite a bit of heating oil in the winters, and that is very costly. So I will make sure not to have radiant heaters (?) put directly on the cold cement slab. Thanks again.
Have you checked out "Cove Heating??" Cove heating is a "reflective" looking shield that mounts on the wall, about a foot from the ceiling. It heats objects great for keeping your cement floors be warm. I have been replacing some of my baseboard heaters with them, using the existing thermostates and wiring. They are MUCH safer being mounted higher on the wall.....I think this would and affordable compared to putting heat in your floor. Check it out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!