I have a heated, finished basement with a cement floor. The heat is baseboard forced hot water by oil. I'm replacing the vinyl tiles on the floor. Should I also add radiant heat while I'm doing it? Or would that be too much since the room is heated?
There are electric radiant heaters that ceiling mount. Some are panels alot like 2x4 ceiling panels. Others are designed to mount where the wall meets the ceiling. They radiate infra-red heat. I don't know how that will interact with the cold floor. Maybe a carpet and pad would be enough insulation on the floor.
Thank you both for your advice. The cold floor is what I really want to address, so I will look further into the radiant heat. I live in New England and use quite a bit of heating oil in the winters, and that is very costly. So I will make sure not to have radiant heaters (?) put directly on the cold cement slab. Thanks again.
Have you checked out "Cove Heating??" Cove heating is a "reflective" looking shield that mounts on the wall, about a foot from the ceiling. It heats objects great for keeping your cement floors be warm. I have been replacing some of my baseboard heaters with them, using the existing thermostates and wiring. They are MUCH safer being mounted higher on the wall.....I think this would and affordable compared to putting heat in your floor. Check it out.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight