My lower a/c unit evaporator drains directly into the crawl space -- apparently this is a common thing for a 17 yr old house around here. In the three years I have been in the house, the crawl has never accumulated water in it (drainage has never been a problem). My home inspector pointed out that the drain needs to be taken to the outside of the house, which I can do with a condensate pump. But, because the unit never has any piping attached to the threaded drain connectors on the evaporator, the screw threads are completely rusted out. The only option I see is to use a pan placed beneath the drip point (not unlike the a/c unit in the attic) to catch the water and route it to the pump. Alternatively, the only way to affix a piping connector to the evaporator is to replace the evaporator, which is estimated to be a $1000 plus $200 to install the condensate pump. In my opinion, this is unnecessary, since there is nothing wrong with the evaporator‚Äôs current working condition. And yes, it's the original equipment.
Has anyone ever seen it done this way, or see ay problem with this? The end result is that the water wil be drawn out of the crawl space. Please help.
I used hose from our pool that has a 1.5" inner diameter to go over (around) the flange where the 3/4 rusted threaded fitting is. It looks to be diverting the entirety of the water and I don't think the pan has any other leaks. This hose I'm using is 3' long, I want to take it to the pump (which is 6" lower than the evaporator outlet) and use an elbow to go from the hose to the 3/4 inlet on the pumps lid... where in this contraption would the p trap go, and what advantage does it offer? Thanks in advance...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes