I'm new to the board and hoping someone can help me. I have two conditioned zones in my house with a Janitrol GMP N0804 REV B in one and a Janitrol GMP 075-3 REV B in the other, both with matching cooling coils and condensers with a total of 5-1/2 tons of cooling capacity. My house is 3200 square feet, well insulated, double paned glazing etc., but the cooling has never worked very well. The supply air is quite cold, but the overall cooling is poor (eg. when its 90 degress out, the cooling has to run for 3 or 4 hours to get the interior temp to drop 8 or 10 degrees). So my questions are as follows:
1. Is the cooling capacity adequate for the house size?
2. Is there a way to increase the airflow to push more cold air? If so, is it something I can get the thermostat to switch so the increased air flow only comes with the cooling demand?
3. Is there anywhere on line I can get Janitrol literature for these two units?
Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the reply. I realize that cooling load calcs would answer the load question, but I was looking for a rule of thumb answer. The house is 4 years old, tight, well insulated (R-19 walls, R-30 ceilings and floors), with about 18% dual glazing distributed about equally on the four orientations in a climate zone with a 1% cooling design temperature of 85 degrees, and relatively dry when cooling is required. Does anyone know if 5 to 6 tons of capacity is about right?
Okay. For the lower zone, a UAdeltaT calc at a 1% design temp yields 4,200 btu/hr. The west glazing gains a max of 12,050 btu/hr per ASHRAE solar heat gain factors. I forget the specific heat and density of air, but even if you add fifty percent of the conductive gains for infiltration, and a like amount for internal gains, you still come up way short of 3 tons, which is what I have cooling the zone. So something does not compute. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a rule of thumb for air conditioning sizing?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!