A Google search turned up the following thread on hvacmechanic.com forums:
We have the same issue as NRoger:
"The main burners on my Carrier 58SS run for about 15 seconds, turn off, then repeat. From reading on this site, I suspect that the flame sensor is at fault, and would like to clean or replace the sensor. Can someone tell me where to find the flame sensor on this unit?"
Is NRoger correct that this issue is caused by the flame sensor?
What is the procedure for cleaning accumulated soot & carbon from the safety element / sensing probe / flame sensor? I have all the original owner's, service, & part manuals for this unit. However, this procedure is not explained in detail. The pilot mounting bracket and burner assembly obstruct one's view of the flame sensor. I imagine one has to remove the pilot assembly to clean or replace the flame senor. Is this correct?
Should the sensor be replaced rather than cleaned? It is still the original part.
Or should we consider replacing the entire furnace since it is now 23 years old? I replaced the main blower in 1998 and the induced draft motor in 1999 myself. What is the life expectancy of the heat exchanger?
air in water pipe
Plumbing PVC to Galvanized
Extra wires switching to new Carrier 325878-751 heat...
Resco, Carrier control board flakes out
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them