I'm basing this on my 4 years' duty in Tokyo, JA. The standard voltage in the entire country (off a US military installation) is only 100-105 VAC. Most US appliances want 115-120 VAC and they experience "brownout" conditions at 100-105 VAC. When we first started getting desktop computers in as a commonplace thing (mid-1980s), we also bought "constant voltage transformers" for each PC. These items would handle an input voltage of 85-120 VAC and provide a constant 115VAC output. They were fairly small and we had to have a separate on for each system (PC/monitor/printer). I also knew a few folks who lived off-base and experienced damage which they attributed to running major appliances (washers, dishwashers, fridges, and TV sets) on the lower voltage. Most of them didn't see a problem until the first time they hooked back up to 115-120VAC power...then they'd start seeing sporadic faults and they'd have to get repairs done.
I don't know if this helps you or not. There's lots of great folks on this forum who can offer their opinions and maybe even cite their own experiences to help you out. Regards! Jim D/Heathsville, VA
Digital Electrical Meter, causing Surges
Bulbs burning out... power issues.
Old house with old wiring, new lighting
Valubuild out of business-there is a God after all!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!