I am renovating my bathroom. I need to put an outlet in the room direcrlty behind the tub. Can this be safetly done? What about wiring behind the tub? Any help will be appeciated.
If the outlet is in the opposite room and is properly wired, there should be no problem. Danger occurs when a device is plugged into an outlet where a person can reach the device and a plumbing fixture or water source at the same time. Plumbing fixtures and water are excellent grounding sources and if a short or leakage occurs with the device, YOU are the conductor between the two. Outlets within a bathroom should be located away from the tub and other water sources and should be a GFI (ground fault interupt) type outlet. Never use extension cords in a bathroom and never use any electric appliance near the tub. Outlets in surrounding rooms (even with the same walls) that are not exposed to the bathroom pose no danger (assuming that those rooms do not have sinks or lavatories).
as bravery said, unless they have sinks or lavatories, OR water using devices, i.e. washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Current code requires any outlet withiin a six foot ARC of a water using/consuming device/water outlet, edge of sink, etc. be GFCI protected. Newer additions on an older theme.
Putting some screws on wall, stud finder says elec i...
Outlet behind new drywall
Add an outlet for New TV
Converting a dishwasher from hardwire to plug in
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love