I am renovating my bathroom. I need to put an outlet in the room direcrlty behind the tub. Can this be safetly done? What about wiring behind the tub? Any help will be appeciated.
If the outlet is in the opposite room and is properly wired, there should be no problem. Danger occurs when a device is plugged into an outlet where a person can reach the device and a plumbing fixture or water source at the same time. Plumbing fixtures and water are excellent grounding sources and if a short or leakage occurs with the device, YOU are the conductor between the two. Outlets within a bathroom should be located away from the tub and other water sources and should be a GFI (ground fault interupt) type outlet. Never use extension cords in a bathroom and never use any electric appliance near the tub. Outlets in surrounding rooms (even with the same walls) that are not exposed to the bathroom pose no danger (assuming that those rooms do not have sinks or lavatories).
as bravery said, unless they have sinks or lavatories, OR water using devices, i.e. washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Current code requires any outlet withiin a six foot ARC of a water using/consuming device/water outlet, edge of sink, etc. be GFCI protected. Newer additions on an older theme.
Putting some screws on wall, stud finder says elec i...
Outlet behind new drywall
Add an outlet for New TV
PUtting electrical outlet in same wall/opposing sides
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight