I am renovating my bathroom. I need to put an outlet in the room direcrlty behind the tub. Can this be safetly done? What about wiring behind the tub? Any help will be appeciated.
If the outlet is in the opposite room and is properly wired, there should be no problem. Danger occurs when a device is plugged into an outlet where a person can reach the device and a plumbing fixture or water source at the same time. Plumbing fixtures and water are excellent grounding sources and if a short or leakage occurs with the device, YOU are the conductor between the two. Outlets within a bathroom should be located away from the tub and other water sources and should be a GFI (ground fault interupt) type outlet. Never use extension cords in a bathroom and never use any electric appliance near the tub. Outlets in surrounding rooms (even with the same walls) that are not exposed to the bathroom pose no danger (assuming that those rooms do not have sinks or lavatories).
as bravery said, unless they have sinks or lavatories, OR water using devices, i.e. washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Current code requires any outlet withiin a six foot ARC of a water using/consuming device/water outlet, edge of sink, etc. be GFCI protected. Newer additions on an older theme.
Putting some screws on wall, stud finder says elec i...
Outlet behind new drywall
Add an outlet for New TV
PUtting electrical outlet in same wall/opposing sides
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 11 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home