I am renovating my bathroom. I need to put an outlet in the room direcrlty behind the tub. Can this be safetly done? What about wiring behind the tub? Any help will be appeciated.
If the outlet is in the opposite room and is properly wired, there should be no problem. Danger occurs when a device is plugged into an outlet where a person can reach the device and a plumbing fixture or water source at the same time. Plumbing fixtures and water are excellent grounding sources and if a short or leakage occurs with the device, YOU are the conductor between the two. Outlets within a bathroom should be located away from the tub and other water sources and should be a GFI (ground fault interupt) type outlet. Never use extension cords in a bathroom and never use any electric appliance near the tub. Outlets in surrounding rooms (even with the same walls) that are not exposed to the bathroom pose no danger (assuming that those rooms do not have sinks or lavatories).
as bravery said, unless they have sinks or lavatories, OR water using devices, i.e. washing machines, dishwashers, water heaters, etc. Current code requires any outlet withiin a six foot ARC of a water using/consuming device/water outlet, edge of sink, etc. be GFCI protected. Newer additions on an older theme.
Putting some screws on wall, stud finder says elec i...
Outlet behind new drywall
Add an outlet for New TV
Converting a dishwasher from hardwire to plug in
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes