Easy - You 'hang' the tin UNDER the existing siding. To do this, you may need to 'lift' or loosen the siding a bit in order to get the flashing under there. Of course, you need rust-free nails.
It may be EASIER if I knew what kind of siding you had. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
I have a simular question along the same lines. I will be attaching a screened porch with a gable roof to our 2 story house. Where the porch roof butts up against the wall of the house, I presume I'll need to cut the vinyl siding wide enough to accommodate the width of the rafter plus the roof sheathing. Would I use step flashing when I go to shingle? I noticed that most home centers have long lengths (10') of flashing which rests behind the siding and on top of the finished roof shingles. Would this be better than step flashing?
Go w/Step Flashing. The long 'lengths' you refer to may be Drip Edge. (I can't see what you're looking at.)
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!