paint/stain oak stairs
If you are talking about painting the vertical portion of the steps, why? This is the part that people will be kicking as they walk up, thus creating a constant maintenance problem.
I'm certainly no expert, but I do enjoy refinishing antiques and wood surfaces in my home.
For staining (non floor surfaces), I suggest DANISH OIL. It's very easy to work with. I've found that stains are often tricky to apply evenly on a deeply textured surface. Danish oil can be applied directly to a rag and rubbed over the area The beauty of the product is that, after applying, you can go over the surface, once again, with a clean rag to even up any darker areas, giving you beautiful and even results. If you want it darker, you simply apply more coats. It can be mixed to create more exciting colors. I recently refinished a cherry cabinet and used 1 coat dark walnut and 3 coats cherry danish oil. It came out beautifully! Not to mention, Danish oil gives the wood a rich deep look and highlights the grain beautifully. As for finishing, I think it depends on the look you want to achieve. I've always been partial to laquer or tung oil, but they can require multiple coats, using steel wool between, but are simply beautiful(For non-floor surfaces.) When applying tung oil you can apply with a rag, as well. Laquer is best applied by spraying. I aviod brushes completely.
danish oil it's to soft a product for your
project.You should use a poly-varnish either
oil base or latex.It's recommended for hard
Painting oak cabinets-how?
Paint color that resembles wood
White Picket Fence - Stain or Paint?
top stairnose is oak, want to replace carpet w/laminate
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees