paint/stain oak stairs
If you are talking about painting the vertical portion of the steps, why? This is the part that people will be kicking as they walk up, thus creating a constant maintenance problem.
I'm certainly no expert, but I do enjoy refinishing antiques and wood surfaces in my home.
For staining (non floor surfaces), I suggest DANISH OIL. It's very easy to work with. I've found that stains are often tricky to apply evenly on a deeply textured surface. Danish oil can be applied directly to a rag and rubbed over the area The beauty of the product is that, after applying, you can go over the surface, once again, with a clean rag to even up any darker areas, giving you beautiful and even results. If you want it darker, you simply apply more coats. It can be mixed to create more exciting colors. I recently refinished a cherry cabinet and used 1 coat dark walnut and 3 coats cherry danish oil. It came out beautifully! Not to mention, Danish oil gives the wood a rich deep look and highlights the grain beautifully. As for finishing, I think it depends on the look you want to achieve. I've always been partial to laquer or tung oil, but they can require multiple coats, using steel wool between, but are simply beautiful(For non-floor surfaces.) When applying tung oil you can apply with a rag, as well. Laquer is best applied by spraying. I aviod brushes completely.
danish oil it's to soft a product for your
project.You should use a poly-varnish either
oil base or latex.It's recommended for hard
Painting oak cabinets-how?
Paint color that resembles wood
White Picket Fence - Stain or Paint?
top stairnose is oak, want to replace carpet w/laminate
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY