paint/stain oak stairs
If you are talking about painting the vertical portion of the steps, why? This is the part that people will be kicking as they walk up, thus creating a constant maintenance problem.
I'm certainly no expert, but I do enjoy refinishing antiques and wood surfaces in my home.
For staining (non floor surfaces), I suggest DANISH OIL. It's very easy to work with. I've found that stains are often tricky to apply evenly on a deeply textured surface. Danish oil can be applied directly to a rag and rubbed over the area The beauty of the product is that, after applying, you can go over the surface, once again, with a clean rag to even up any darker areas, giving you beautiful and even results. If you want it darker, you simply apply more coats. It can be mixed to create more exciting colors. I recently refinished a cherry cabinet and used 1 coat dark walnut and 3 coats cherry danish oil. It came out beautifully! Not to mention, Danish oil gives the wood a rich deep look and highlights the grain beautifully. As for finishing, I think it depends on the look you want to achieve. I've always been partial to laquer or tung oil, but they can require multiple coats, using steel wool between, but are simply beautiful(For non-floor surfaces.) When applying tung oil you can apply with a rag, as well. Laquer is best applied by spraying. I aviod brushes completely.
danish oil it's to soft a product for your
project.You should use a poly-varnish either
oil base or latex.It's recommended for hard
Painting oak cabinets-how?
Paint color that resembles wood
White Picket Fence - Stain or Paint?
top stairnose is oak, want to replace carpet w/laminate
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects