paint/stain oak stairs
If you are talking about painting the vertical portion of the steps, why? This is the part that people will be kicking as they walk up, thus creating a constant maintenance problem.
I'm certainly no expert, but I do enjoy refinishing antiques and wood surfaces in my home.
For staining (non floor surfaces), I suggest DANISH OIL. It's very easy to work with. I've found that stains are often tricky to apply evenly on a deeply textured surface. Danish oil can be applied directly to a rag and rubbed over the area The beauty of the product is that, after applying, you can go over the surface, once again, with a clean rag to even up any darker areas, giving you beautiful and even results. If you want it darker, you simply apply more coats. It can be mixed to create more exciting colors. I recently refinished a cherry cabinet and used 1 coat dark walnut and 3 coats cherry danish oil. It came out beautifully! Not to mention, Danish oil gives the wood a rich deep look and highlights the grain beautifully. As for finishing, I think it depends on the look you want to achieve. I've always been partial to laquer or tung oil, but they can require multiple coats, using steel wool between, but are simply beautiful(For non-floor surfaces.) When applying tung oil you can apply with a rag, as well. Laquer is best applied by spraying. I aviod brushes completely.
danish oil it's to soft a product for your
project.You should use a poly-varnish either
oil base or latex.It's recommended for hard
Painting oak cabinets-how?
Paint color that resembles wood
White Picket Fence - Stain or Paint?
top stairnose is oak, want to replace carpet w/laminate
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!