I am in the process of tearing down tiled ceiling that was glued to my drywall ceiling! It has been up there since the 70's and it was starting to come down. I have been able to so far successfully pull down the panels, scrape off the bulk of the glue spots with a putty knife and run my palm sander a few times over the spots and get a smooth finish. My problem is, I hit an area of the ceiling where someone stucco'd it! It is not a thick layer, it resembles a sandpaper texture. I took a 40grit sandpaper and hand sanded one samll spot and it was starting to smooth the area out. But that will be way too much work. I'l be there forever.
Any suggestions short of replacing the shet rock or just stuccoing the whole ceiling?
I thought about getting a belt sander or maybe trying paint thinner on the ceiling. I don't know if that would work. ASny help would be appreciated as my dining room and kitchen are torn apart now.
Take a sheet of very coarse sandpaper and go over the area lightly to scratch up the surface. Wipe the area down with cold water to remove the dust. Now go over the area with joint compound in light applications. It may require a few applications to cover the texture so let it dry thouroughly before apply each subsequent coat. Then sand lightly to blend it all in to the existing ceiling...
Thanks for the advice. It is working like a charm. It is still a lot of work but at least I am making great progress now. Thanks again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs