I am in the process of tearing down tiled ceiling that was glued to my drywall ceiling! It has been up there since the 70's and it was starting to come down. I have been able to so far successfully pull down the panels, scrape off the bulk of the glue spots with a putty knife and run my palm sander a few times over the spots and get a smooth finish. My problem is, I hit an area of the ceiling where someone stucco'd it! It is not a thick layer, it resembles a sandpaper texture. I took a 40grit sandpaper and hand sanded one samll spot and it was starting to smooth the area out. But that will be way too much work. I'l be there forever.
Any suggestions short of replacing the shet rock or just stuccoing the whole ceiling?
I thought about getting a belt sander or maybe trying paint thinner on the ceiling. I don't know if that would work. ASny help would be appreciated as my dining room and kitchen are torn apart now.
Take a sheet of very coarse sandpaper and go over the area lightly to scratch up the surface. Wipe the area down with cold water to remove the dust. Now go over the area with joint compound in light applications. It may require a few applications to cover the texture so let it dry thouroughly before apply each subsequent coat. Then sand lightly to blend it all in to the existing ceiling...
Thanks for the advice. It is working like a charm. It is still a lot of work but at least I am making great progress now. Thanks again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps