I am in the process of tearing down tiled ceiling that was glued to my drywall ceiling! It has been up there since the 70's and it was starting to come down. I have been able to so far successfully pull down the panels, scrape off the bulk of the glue spots with a putty knife and run my palm sander a few times over the spots and get a smooth finish. My problem is, I hit an area of the ceiling where someone stucco'd it! It is not a thick layer, it resembles a sandpaper texture. I took a 40grit sandpaper and hand sanded one samll spot and it was starting to smooth the area out. But that will be way too much work. I'l be there forever.
Any suggestions short of replacing the shet rock or just stuccoing the whole ceiling?
I thought about getting a belt sander or maybe trying paint thinner on the ceiling. I don't know if that would work. ASny help would be appreciated as my dining room and kitchen are torn apart now.
Take a sheet of very coarse sandpaper and go over the area lightly to scratch up the surface. Wipe the area down with cold water to remove the dust. Now go over the area with joint compound in light applications. It may require a few applications to cover the texture so let it dry thouroughly before apply each subsequent coat. Then sand lightly to blend it all in to the existing ceiling...
Thanks for the advice. It is working like a charm. It is still a lot of work but at least I am making great progress now. Thanks again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes