Whole house help
Of course, the answer is not that simple: mud is for both strength and looks. It is also for insulation, to prevent drafts through the wall.
As for strength, although it does not add a tremendous amount of strength, the mud combined with tape (in between the joints) helps turn the seperate pieces of drywall into one, solid unit that can withstand (and help prevent) a minimal amount of shifting.
The real benefit of mud, and the benefit of having a skilled professional do it, is cosmetic: it turns the seperate pieces of drywall into one smooth, sleek unit.
A sloppy mud job will mostly just be a cosmetic flaw. So long as they put tape between the joints and filled the gaps (which I cannot imagine they did not do), the wall should be strong enough and nonporous enough. They might not have pushed the mud deep enough into the joints for an ideally-strong fill, but if they did not leave long, large gaps between the joints, it should be structurally sound and should prevent drafts. It is just ugly.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!