Whole house help
Of course, the answer is not that simple: mud is for both strength and looks. It is also for insulation, to prevent drafts through the wall.
As for strength, although it does not add a tremendous amount of strength, the mud combined with tape (in between the joints) helps turn the seperate pieces of drywall into one, solid unit that can withstand (and help prevent) a minimal amount of shifting.
The real benefit of mud, and the benefit of having a skilled professional do it, is cosmetic: it turns the seperate pieces of drywall into one smooth, sleek unit.
A sloppy mud job will mostly just be a cosmetic flaw. So long as they put tape between the joints and filled the gaps (which I cannot imagine they did not do), the wall should be strong enough and nonporous enough. They might not have pushed the mud deep enough into the joints for an ideally-strong fill, but if they did not leave long, large gaps between the joints, it should be structurally sound and should prevent drafts. It is just ugly.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes