paint and wallpaper
Visit your local Wallpaper Retailer or Home Depot or the like, buy a Paper Tiger and a few bottles of DIF by Zinnser, and be SURE to read the DIF directions at least TWICE so you're completely clear as to how to use it. DIF is cheap so don't worry about wasting it, so to speak.
In short, the keys to this job are to be sure you PERFORATE the wallpaper and paint BUT don't 'ding' the drywall too much, or the next thing you know you'll be asking 'us' how to fix the nicks in the wall! AND, be sure to let the DIF do its work in the alloted time. AND be sure to use boiling hot water and thick rubber gloves so you don't burn yourself. Keep a big pot of water on the stove on LOW so you're one step 'ahead' when you need more hot water. Get yourself a 4" spackle knife to help w/the scraping. DON'T nick the wall w/the knife. And when you're done, wash the walls with a CLEAN solution of DIF. Don't hesitate to change the solution when either it gets COLD or it's not working very well. (DIF works best if it's clean AND in HOT water.) Use one of those huge Car Sponges to apply the DIF solution. And, when you think you're finished, get the room as dark as you can and hold a lit flashlight parallel to the wall, right up on it, to see if there's any 'clean up' you need to do. As you know, light travels in a straight line so it will show any imperfections.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't forget to lay somethin on the floor to 'catch' the mess. IF you have baseboard trim, buy some Painter's Tape (NOT Masking Tape), and run a 'bead' along it to keep the junk off of it. Because, once that 'stuff' dries and hardens, it can be a pain to clean off ...
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
painting over powder-coated aluminum sunroom walls
How do you remove paint and old adhesive from drywall?
Crackle paint and sprayer
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!