paint and wallpaper
Visit your local Wallpaper Retailer or Home Depot or the like, buy a Paper Tiger and a few bottles of DIF by Zinnser, and be SURE to read the DIF directions at least TWICE so you're completely clear as to how to use it. DIF is cheap so don't worry about wasting it, so to speak.
In short, the keys to this job are to be sure you PERFORATE the wallpaper and paint BUT don't 'ding' the drywall too much, or the next thing you know you'll be asking 'us' how to fix the nicks in the wall! AND, be sure to let the DIF do its work in the alloted time. AND be sure to use boiling hot water and thick rubber gloves so you don't burn yourself. Keep a big pot of water on the stove on LOW so you're one step 'ahead' when you need more hot water. Get yourself a 4" spackle knife to help w/the scraping. DON'T nick the wall w/the knife. And when you're done, wash the walls with a CLEAN solution of DIF. Don't hesitate to change the solution when either it gets COLD or it's not working very well. (DIF works best if it's clean AND in HOT water.) Use one of those huge Car Sponges to apply the DIF solution. And, when you think you're finished, get the room as dark as you can and hold a lit flashlight parallel to the wall, right up on it, to see if there's any 'clean up' you need to do. As you know, light travels in a straight line so it will show any imperfections.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Don't forget to lay somethin on the floor to 'catch' the mess. IF you have baseboard trim, buy some Painter's Tape (NOT Masking Tape), and run a 'bead' along it to keep the junk off of it. Because, once that 'stuff' dries and hardens, it can be a pain to clean off ...
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
painting over powder-coated aluminum sunroom walls
How do you remove paint and old adhesive from drywall?
Crackle paint and sprayer
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight