first off i'd like to thank u guys for replying so quickly. My hubby cuts the wood outside(weather permitting), we will try to get all of the wood up in one day on one wall. after he finishes putting up all of the wood then in the next day or two i will sand with i think 180 sand paper. i will then wipe the walls with a tack cloth, and then i will start varnishing. I am using oil based varnish. Not sure what kind of brush i'm using. I am also using a small electric sander. This is really our first venture in this type of home improvement. By the way, we just completed my son's room with this same wood, but we used satin finish on his. It turned out beautiful. This is why i'm so confused about what we r doing wrong with the high gloss in the kitchen. I noticed one of u mentioned a sealer. Are u referring to the first coat of varish or is this something we obviously aren't doing?
Before you apply the varnish or urethane you need to apply a coat of sanding wood sealer as that will raise the grain some and then you sand that smooth. This product is much much easier to get smooth than the varnish and will give you the smooth finish you want. There will be alot of sanding dust and just be sure to get this off and you can use a lint free cloth dampened with water or mineral spirits. This product will need to be applied with a chinese bristle brush just like the finish and a good choice in one is a wooster yachtsman.
COST/RETURN ON ADDING 2ND BATH
How do people respond to a post made on the sight?
Forgot to mention
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes