first off i'd like to thank u guys for replying so quickly. My hubby cuts the wood outside(weather permitting), we will try to get all of the wood up in one day on one wall. after he finishes putting up all of the wood then in the next day or two i will sand with i think 180 sand paper. i will then wipe the walls with a tack cloth, and then i will start varnishing. I am using oil based varnish. Not sure what kind of brush i'm using. I am also using a small electric sander. This is really our first venture in this type of home improvement. By the way, we just completed my son's room with this same wood, but we used satin finish on his. It turned out beautiful. This is why i'm so confused about what we r doing wrong with the high gloss in the kitchen. I noticed one of u mentioned a sealer. Are u referring to the first coat of varish or is this something we obviously aren't doing?
Before you apply the varnish or urethane you need to apply a coat of sanding wood sealer as that will raise the grain some and then you sand that smooth. This product is much much easier to get smooth than the varnish and will give you the smooth finish you want. There will be alot of sanding dust and just be sure to get this off and you can use a lint free cloth dampened with water or mineral spirits. This product will need to be applied with a chinese bristle brush just like the finish and a good choice in one is a wooster yachtsman.
COST/RETURN ON ADDING 2ND BATH
How do people respond to a post made on the sight?
Forgot to mention
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight