I bought a house. It is a small house on a slab, about 50 years old. The prior owner maintained the major mechanics very well, but not so well on interior design. The house has wood panelling - ugly but in good shape for panelling, i.e. no buckling - never painted or ruined by use. It also has yellowing ceiling tile.
Can I paint the ceiling tile and the panelling? If so, what techniques would be good to use to lighten eveything up and for not spending a fortune on it?
Finally, I thing the house smells very stale, propably from years of smoking by its former occupants - but not recently. So the smell is more of a stale-closed-up-house smell - not a smoking smell. I am having the carpet cleaned. If the carpet cleaning does not eliminate the smell, do you have other suggestions for this? Would the painting of the panelling and/or ceiling tile do the trick?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes