I think I'm in trouble, but I wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions...
I painted my bathroom 5 months ago - yesterday, I discovered major crackling/alligatoring all along the where the walls meet the ceiling, above the shower, and on the painted metal door frame.
Walls are drywall - original paint was latex. Had some moisture issues before we painted (bath fan isn't powerful enough). First, we cleaned with TSP. Then, primed with two coats of BINZ. Finally, we painted with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Paint. Waited about 3-7 days between each coat of paint.
Doorframe is metal. We did the same prep/paint on doors and trim.
I think the crackling may be caused by my continued moisture problem - I haven't had a chance to find a more powerful bath fan. My husband contends that moisture alone wouldn't cause the crackling. He thinks it's caused by using BINZ over TSP or latex paint (we have since read that you shouldn't do either of those).
So, first - any clue as to what is the more likely cause of the crackling? Secondly, what can I do to fix it?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer!
Just flaked some of it off - definitely the latex coming off the BIN (could tell because the original paint was black - it's a solid coat of white under the cracking stuff). I'd fathom a guess then that this is definitely a problem with moisture and not something caused by incorrectly applying BINs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY