I think I'm in trouble, but I wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions...
I painted my bathroom 5 months ago - yesterday, I discovered major crackling/alligatoring all along the where the walls meet the ceiling, above the shower, and on the painted metal door frame.
Walls are drywall - original paint was latex. Had some moisture issues before we painted (bath fan isn't powerful enough). First, we cleaned with TSP. Then, primed with two coats of BINZ. Finally, we painted with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Paint. Waited about 3-7 days between each coat of paint.
Doorframe is metal. We did the same prep/paint on doors and trim.
I think the crackling may be caused by my continued moisture problem - I haven't had a chance to find a more powerful bath fan. My husband contends that moisture alone wouldn't cause the crackling. He thinks it's caused by using BINZ over TSP or latex paint (we have since read that you shouldn't do either of those).
So, first - any clue as to what is the more likely cause of the crackling? Secondly, what can I do to fix it?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer!
Just flaked some of it off - definitely the latex coming off the BIN (could tell because the original paint was black - it's a solid coat of white under the cracking stuff). I'd fathom a guess then that this is definitely a problem with moisture and not something caused by incorrectly applying BINs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes