I think I'm in trouble, but I wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions...
I painted my bathroom 5 months ago - yesterday, I discovered major crackling/alligatoring all along the where the walls meet the ceiling, above the shower, and on the painted metal door frame.
Walls are drywall - original paint was latex. Had some moisture issues before we painted (bath fan isn't powerful enough). First, we cleaned with TSP. Then, primed with two coats of BINZ. Finally, we painted with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Paint. Waited about 3-7 days between each coat of paint.
Doorframe is metal. We did the same prep/paint on doors and trim.
I think the crackling may be caused by my continued moisture problem - I haven't had a chance to find a more powerful bath fan. My husband contends that moisture alone wouldn't cause the crackling. He thinks it's caused by using BINZ over TSP or latex paint (we have since read that you shouldn't do either of those).
So, first - any clue as to what is the more likely cause of the crackling? Secondly, what can I do to fix it?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer!
Just flaked some of it off - definitely the latex coming off the BIN (could tell because the original paint was black - it's a solid coat of white under the cracking stuff). I'd fathom a guess then that this is definitely a problem with moisture and not something caused by incorrectly applying BINs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects