I think I'm in trouble, but I wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions...
I painted my bathroom 5 months ago - yesterday, I discovered major crackling/alligatoring all along the where the walls meet the ceiling, above the shower, and on the painted metal door frame.
Walls are drywall - original paint was latex. Had some moisture issues before we painted (bath fan isn't powerful enough). First, we cleaned with TSP. Then, primed with two coats of BINZ. Finally, we painted with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Paint. Waited about 3-7 days between each coat of paint.
Doorframe is metal. We did the same prep/paint on doors and trim.
I think the crackling may be caused by my continued moisture problem - I haven't had a chance to find a more powerful bath fan. My husband contends that moisture alone wouldn't cause the crackling. He thinks it's caused by using BINZ over TSP or latex paint (we have since read that you shouldn't do either of those).
So, first - any clue as to what is the more likely cause of the crackling? Secondly, what can I do to fix it?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer!
Just flaked some of it off - definitely the latex coming off the BIN (could tell because the original paint was black - it's a solid coat of white under the cracking stuff). I'd fathom a guess then that this is definitely a problem with moisture and not something caused by incorrectly applying BINs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!