I think I'm in trouble, but I wanted to see if anyone might have any suggestions...
I painted my bathroom 5 months ago - yesterday, I discovered major crackling/alligatoring all along the where the walls meet the ceiling, above the shower, and on the painted metal door frame.
Walls are drywall - original paint was latex. Had some moisture issues before we painted (bath fan isn't powerful enough). First, we cleaned with TSP. Then, primed with two coats of BINZ. Finally, we painted with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore Semi-Gloss Paint. Waited about 3-7 days between each coat of paint.
Doorframe is metal. We did the same prep/paint on doors and trim.
I think the crackling may be caused by my continued moisture problem - I haven't had a chance to find a more powerful bath fan. My husband contends that moisture alone wouldn't cause the crackling. He thinks it's caused by using BINZ over TSP or latex paint (we have since read that you shouldn't do either of those).
So, first - any clue as to what is the more likely cause of the crackling? Secondly, what can I do to fix it?
Thank you for any assistance you can offer!
Just flaked some of it off - definitely the latex coming off the BIN (could tell because the original paint was black - it's a solid coat of white under the cracking stuff). I'd fathom a guess then that this is definitely a problem with moisture and not something caused by incorrectly applying BINs.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools