Any suggestions for how to paint over the suede paint in my kitchen? I loved the way it looked when we first did it, but it was totally impractical for a kitchen. I would like to use a satin finish--I need to be able to wipe off fingerprints and touch up paint without repainting the whole wall. Will a couple coats of satin do that for me? (I don't care if it still looks textured, just as long as I can easily wipe it clean.)
I have no hands-on experience with suede paint, but in your other post you say you've been told to treat it as a flat paint. Therefore, I would recommend priming it first. If you don't, it's probably going to soak up a lot of your more expensive topcoat and it may affect the appearance of the topcoat. As for using a satin finish in the kitchen, I say go for it. I hate the way semi-gloss looks on a wall. As a rule I use satin and eggshell on walls. I'd err on the side of satin in a kitchen or bathroom. I've never had a problem with washability with the satins I've used.
I agree that you will need to prime the suede and you will just need to go to your local paint store and ask for an acrylic undercoater. These products have much better sealing properties than a regular latex primer and will give you a better looking job when using a satin or eggshell finish for your topcoat.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight