Any suggestions for how to paint over the suede paint in my kitchen? I loved the way it looked when we first did it, but it was totally impractical for a kitchen. I would like to use a satin finish--I need to be able to wipe off fingerprints and touch up paint without repainting the whole wall. Will a couple coats of satin do that for me? (I don't care if it still looks textured, just as long as I can easily wipe it clean.)
I have no hands-on experience with suede paint, but in your other post you say you've been told to treat it as a flat paint. Therefore, I would recommend priming it first. If you don't, it's probably going to soak up a lot of your more expensive topcoat and it may affect the appearance of the topcoat. As for using a satin finish in the kitchen, I say go for it. I hate the way semi-gloss looks on a wall. As a rule I use satin and eggshell on walls. I'd err on the side of satin in a kitchen or bathroom. I've never had a problem with washability with the satins I've used.
I agree that you will need to prime the suede and you will just need to go to your local paint store and ask for an acrylic undercoater. These products have much better sealing properties than a regular latex primer and will give you a better looking job when using a satin or eggshell finish for your topcoat.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes