I am in the process of staining my old stairs. First I sanded them and then applied the prestain as the steps are fir. I proceded to stain but it seemed to me that it was not taking in the stain. I decided to let them dry a bit and then tried to remove the stain with a cloth. I now have streaks from wiping the stain and it is all a mess. I now think I may have not sanded enough...I dont know. What should I do next? Re sand the entire thing or is there something to purchase to remove the stain I applied before I sand again. Its been 12 hrs and the stain does not seem to dry. Help.
It sounds as if you did not get all of the old finish off as stain needs to be on bare wood. I would try and wipe over the stain with paint thinner as this may remove all of it or at least enough for it to dry.
As of today I think it looks like it in now dried but the streaks that I left when wiping are visible, as I thought to leave it on thicker would help, are now very obvious. Not sure what to do next.
If the stain has dried and you have not sealed it yet, then you can wipe over the stain with lacquer thinner and remove the stain and just start over.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!