Hello: I had a pipe burst in my dining room ceiling recently that spewed water for approx. a half hour or so before I found it and shut off the water. Water penetrated the floor and surrounding walls & dropped into my unfinished basement. My dining room had blueboard with veneer plaster covering and then wallpaper. I cleaned the area in about 8-10 hours and then had a restoration co. dry the area out for approx. a week with blowers & large dehumidifiers. My concern is the blueboard behind the plaster in the bottom of the walls where the water penetrated. Should that be replaced since everything I read is that when drywall (aka blueboard) gets wet, mold can form eventually & as a result it should likely be replaced. Is that true? My contractor says since the outer plaster is hard, that the drywall behind such is likely OK, is that statement accurate or not?
Also, I presume my plywood flooring drys out OK and does not need replaced. I removed the wet carpet and padding within a few hours of the incident and dry vac'd the plywood floors. There is some back coler stains near the corners of some walls etc. My contractor says it's not mold & is normal. Is that correct or should I be concerned?
Thanks for any advice.
I would think that the black spots could very well be mold. If water got inside your walls then mold will grow there as it is dark and takes a long time to dry out.
Cedar siding & roof
Flashing does not extend all the way to the side of ...
roof leak detection
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!