Hello: I had a pipe burst in my dining room ceiling recently that spewed water for approx. a half hour or so before I found it and shut off the water. Water penetrated the floor and surrounding walls & dropped into my unfinished basement. My dining room had blueboard with veneer plaster covering and then wallpaper. I cleaned the area in about 8-10 hours and then had a restoration co. dry the area out for approx. a week with blowers & large dehumidifiers. My concern is the blueboard behind the plaster in the bottom of the walls where the water penetrated. Should that be replaced since everything I read is that when drywall (aka blueboard) gets wet, mold can form eventually & as a result it should likely be replaced. Is that true? My contractor says since the outer plaster is hard, that the drywall behind such is likely OK, is that statement accurate or not?
Also, I presume my plywood flooring drys out OK and does not need replaced. I removed the wet carpet and padding within a few hours of the incident and dry vac'd the plywood floors. There is some back coler stains near the corners of some walls etc. My contractor says it's not mold & is normal. Is that correct or should I be concerned?
Thanks for any advice.
I would think that the black spots could very well be mold. If water got inside your walls then mold will grow there as it is dark and takes a long time to dry out.
Cedar siding & roof
Flashing does not extend all the way to the side of ...
roof leak detection
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight