Mold under Vinyl in Basement
So, first, test for seepage by taping a plastic sheet to the floor and waiting a few days. If you see moisture beading up under the plastic, you have seepage.
To stop the seepage, you can lay a 6 mil or thicker plastic moisture barrier down and then re-carpet or tile over it. Secure the plastic by laying glue both over and on top of it at the same spots: sandwiching the plastic between the glue to create solid, slip free spots/channels.
The best thing I thought of in lieu of a plastic moisture barrier was to paint the surface with a waterproof paint. However, most waterproof paints clarify that their product is not good for floors (UGL in particular: good for only walls). Some paint specialists with whom I consulted said that there is no solution; they had dealt with it before and there was nothing I could do.
I did not settle for that. The problem is that the waterproof paint is not resistent to foot traffic. Thus, my admittedly-untested-and-inexperienced solution was to just paint the floor with a waterproof paint, and then cover it with another floor convering. It might help to boost the paint with some mildicide additive, which is sold at most paint stores and at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Also, in one spot which would not receive foot traffic, I painted it with 2 coats of UGL oil-based waterproof paint boosted with mildicide, and then topped that paint with a mildew proof bathroom paint made by Zissner, which carries a anti-mildew warranty. It also is a wall paint, so it would not stand up to foot traffic, but it is an option in low/no-traffic spots.
Make sure you bleach-clean and then air-out and dry the area well for a week or two (or more) before doing anything. Kill the current mildew before anything, or else it will be back.
Mold and Vinyl Floors
Ceramic Tile in Basement
Vinyl tile over concrete--no vapor barrier-Scared now
Mold Under Aluminum siding?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers