Mold under Vinyl in Basement
So, first, test for seepage by taping a plastic sheet to the floor and waiting a few days. If you see moisture beading up under the plastic, you have seepage.
To stop the seepage, you can lay a 6 mil or thicker plastic moisture barrier down and then re-carpet or tile over it. Secure the plastic by laying glue both over and on top of it at the same spots: sandwiching the plastic between the glue to create solid, slip free spots/channels.
The best thing I thought of in lieu of a plastic moisture barrier was to paint the surface with a waterproof paint. However, most waterproof paints clarify that their product is not good for floors (UGL in particular: good for only walls). Some paint specialists with whom I consulted said that there is no solution; they had dealt with it before and there was nothing I could do.
I did not settle for that. The problem is that the waterproof paint is not resistent to foot traffic. Thus, my admittedly-untested-and-inexperienced solution was to just paint the floor with a waterproof paint, and then cover it with another floor convering. It might help to boost the paint with some mildicide additive, which is sold at most paint stores and at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Also, in one spot which would not receive foot traffic, I painted it with 2 coats of UGL oil-based waterproof paint boosted with mildicide, and then topped that paint with a mildew proof bathroom paint made by Zissner, which carries a anti-mildew warranty. It also is a wall paint, so it would not stand up to foot traffic, but it is an option in low/no-traffic spots.
Make sure you bleach-clean and then air-out and dry the area well for a week or two (or more) before doing anything. Kill the current mildew before anything, or else it will be back.
Mold and Vinyl Floors
Ceramic Tile in Basement
Vinyl tile over concrete--no vapor barrier-Scared now
Mold Under Aluminum siding?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight