Ceramic tile over old vinyl
Just something to think about since you'll be adding some thickness to your floor. Any trim or moldings will need to be mounted higher, and if you have any doors or pantries that open into the space, they may need to be trimmed as well. If you have an air duct that exits from under a cabinet, it may no longer fit.
Ideally in our kitchen, I'd take out the floor and put in ceramic, extending it into the dining area (which is now covered with off-white carpeting...NOT smart for a dining area with younger kids!). And I'd also think about doing the ceramic tiles with the grout lines on the diagonal. Granted, a lot more work, but it would be unique!
-= N =-
[This message has been edited by Rudy64 (edited October 18, 2002).]
Plus, as someone else pointed out, you loose room space by not removing the old flooring.
Ceramic Tile on Bathroom Ceiling
laying ceramic tile over old existing ceramic tile
INSTALLING TILES AND RADIATORS
Preparing for Ceramic Tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!