We are still debating about flooring in our new addition. I still like the idea of hardwood in the kitchen, dining area and foyer, with carpet in the TV/living area, but I'm hearing too many cautionary tales about using hardwood in a kitchen. We're also considering porcelain tile in the kitchen and foyer because it will handle wear and water better than hardwood, I'm told. Here's a thought we've been considering:
Could we use tile in the foyer and kitchen and then extend a tile border around the perimeter of the dining area, with hardwood in the middle of the dining area? Carpet would be used in the living area. The idea here is that we want to integrate the kitchen and dining areas visually, but don't want tile in the dining area. Is it possible to do a tile border around a large hardwood area? Would the tile border have to be thicker than one 12" tile, or could we do it with a one-tile border?
My concerns are: a) the different heights of tile, hardwood and carpet, and how to match them up; b) how to handle any wood expansion that I understand must be accomodated in a hardwood installation; and c) will one row of tiles be stable, or do you need more than one row for them to stick in place?
If we don't do a tile border, what are your thoughts about moving from tile in the kitchen to hardwood in the dining portion of a great room to carpet in the sitting portion of a great room? I want to use hardwood in the whole great room (with a throw rug in the TV area), but my wife is insisting on carpet in the TV area.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes