I have hardwood floors. I am not sure what type of floor-maple,oak, or whatever and I do not know how to tell the difference. They have been damaged by the previous owners. A contractor did some sanding in the master bedroom and hallway with the drum that you have to rent but it still is not perfect. The contractor also put some shiny stuff on it.
Since the hardwood floor was covered with carpet the previously did not take care of the hardwood floor.
There is black spots all over the place. I think they let a pet alone in the house for some time or just dropped water all over the place.
So the parts that were not sanded I am not sure what to do. There are black marks from the staples left from the carpet and the carpet tack boards that are obvious in the wood.
I am willing to do the work myself if I can get step by step instructions. I am real patient and like things to be close to perfect thus I can take my time.
New homeowner seeking to improve like you!
personally, I would hire a floor refinisher to at least do the sanding of the floor. to remove the black stains from the tacks, use wood bleach, the holes can be filled with a mixture of the sanding sawdust and varnish or poly. I had old oak floors restored after the removal of carpet, the cost for the complete job with 2 coats of poly was $2.95 a square foot. that was 3 years ago.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees