I have hardwood floors. I am not sure what type of floor-maple,oak, or whatever and I do not know how to tell the difference. They have been damaged by the previous owners. A contractor did some sanding in the master bedroom and hallway with the drum that you have to rent but it still is not perfect. The contractor also put some shiny stuff on it.
Since the hardwood floor was covered with carpet the previously did not take care of the hardwood floor.
There is black spots all over the place. I think they let a pet alone in the house for some time or just dropped water all over the place.
So the parts that were not sanded I am not sure what to do. There are black marks from the staples left from the carpet and the carpet tack boards that are obvious in the wood.
I am willing to do the work myself if I can get step by step instructions. I am real patient and like things to be close to perfect thus I can take my time.
New homeowner seeking to improve like you!
personally, I would hire a floor refinisher to at least do the sanding of the floor. to remove the black stains from the tacks, use wood bleach, the holes can be filled with a mixture of the sanding sawdust and varnish or poly. I had old oak floors restored after the removal of carpet, the cost for the complete job with 2 coats of poly was $2.95 a square foot. that was 3 years ago.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs