My mother has a rental house about 70-80 years old with 2" wide wood floors. Not sure if they are oak or pine. Two sets of the boards within 3 feet of each other are "tenting". For one set the tenting occurs about 5-6' in length. The second set is probably less than 3' in length so far. There doesn't seem to be any moisture (leaks, etc) and I suspect the problem could be they are too tight and the humidity and heat have swollen the boards. What is the best way to repair? Any recommendations on books or printed instructions? Or is this best handled by a professional?
Even though the floor is now dry it was probably exposed to excessive moisture at some point in the past. If you want the repair to be unnoticeable, it is best to have a professional do it. Short of that, there are several home repair books that cover hardwood floor repair. Remember, you will probably need to refinish the repaired area or the entire room in the process.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes