I am laying cermaic tile in my bathroom and kitchen. Currently, there is lino/vinyl. I am going to lay a Hardibacker down.
My question is:
what do I do about the toliet and pedastool sink? Do I remove them and try to cut the board and tile around them?
Thanks for any help!
remove them along with the vinyl and the luan that is probably under that. Only in certain scenarios would I consider going over vinyl with cement board and since I cant visually inspect your floor there is no way I would give a blanket ok on that one. Vinyl and luan offer no structural strength to a subfloor and many homes are built to minimum standards so what you have for a subfloor may not be up to standards to support a ceramic tile installation. We would need to know, assuming this is a wood floor because you only put cement boards over wood subfloors, what the size and spacing of the floor joists are, the length of the unsupported span of the joists and thickness of the subfloor and what kind of plywood it is. Particle board has no place in a tiled situation, CDX ply cannot be used as it is not rated for underlayment, the American Plywood Association (APA) gives it a sheathing rating only, means its good for the side of the house but not on the floors, OSB is ok as long as it is covered with cement board, plywood with a BCX rating is best.
Mold, and Buckling Foundation
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
bathroom reno timeline
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight