I am laying cermaic tile in my bathroom and kitchen. Currently, there is lino/vinyl. I am going to lay a Hardibacker down.
My question is:
what do I do about the toliet and pedastool sink? Do I remove them and try to cut the board and tile around them?
Thanks for any help!
remove them along with the vinyl and the luan that is probably under that. Only in certain scenarios would I consider going over vinyl with cement board and since I cant visually inspect your floor there is no way I would give a blanket ok on that one. Vinyl and luan offer no structural strength to a subfloor and many homes are built to minimum standards so what you have for a subfloor may not be up to standards to support a ceramic tile installation. We would need to know, assuming this is a wood floor because you only put cement boards over wood subfloors, what the size and spacing of the floor joists are, the length of the unsupported span of the joists and thickness of the subfloor and what kind of plywood it is. Particle board has no place in a tiled situation, CDX ply cannot be used as it is not rated for underlayment, the American Plywood Association (APA) gives it a sheathing rating only, means its good for the side of the house but not on the floors, OSB is ok as long as it is covered with cement board, plywood with a BCX rating is best.
Mold, and Buckling Foundation
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
bathroom reno timeline
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love