I am laying cermaic tile in my bathroom and kitchen. Currently, there is lino/vinyl. I am going to lay a Hardibacker down.
My question is:
what do I do about the toliet and pedastool sink? Do I remove them and try to cut the board and tile around them?
Thanks for any help!
remove them along with the vinyl and the luan that is probably under that. Only in certain scenarios would I consider going over vinyl with cement board and since I cant visually inspect your floor there is no way I would give a blanket ok on that one. Vinyl and luan offer no structural strength to a subfloor and many homes are built to minimum standards so what you have for a subfloor may not be up to standards to support a ceramic tile installation. We would need to know, assuming this is a wood floor because you only put cement boards over wood subfloors, what the size and spacing of the floor joists are, the length of the unsupported span of the joists and thickness of the subfloor and what kind of plywood it is. Particle board has no place in a tiled situation, CDX ply cannot be used as it is not rated for underlayment, the American Plywood Association (APA) gives it a sheathing rating only, means its good for the side of the house but not on the floors, OSB is ok as long as it is covered with cement board, plywood with a BCX rating is best.
Mold, and Buckling Foundation
Concerned about asbestos in the mastic on our floor
bathroom reno timeline
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes