My husband and I and our new baby just moved into an older townhome. The basement has 12 inch tiles that were cracked and crumbled. After popping off a few of them, I did a little research (better late than never!) and found out they could contain asbestos. I took them to a lab to be tested and although they are asbestos free, the black mastic underneath contains 1-5% asbestos.
Some of the tiles have already been removed because they were falling off. Some are stuck down very well and others will come right off. We have purchased new 12x12 tile to lay down. Do I need to remove all of the old tile and mastic (with a product like bean-e-doo perhaps) before laying the new tile? Can I minimize the asbestos exposure and make the job easier by tiling over old tile or old mastic?
Of course, with a baby in the house I'd definitely follow best practices to remove any asbestos material in the future, (can't change the way I removed a few tiles before I knew) but if I could avoid the mess and work, I'd rather. Any advice would be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?